PDA

View Full Version : Investing Short Term

DrumNFeather
01-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Let's say someone gave you 4 to 5 thousand dollars and told you to invest it anyway you wanted to, but that the investment period would be short term (2-3 years).

What would be the best way to invest that money to gain the most return?

Surfah
01-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Let's say someone gave you 4 to 5 thousand dollars and told you to invest it anyway you wanted to, but that the investment period would be short term (2-3 years).

Wire it to me before my trip to Vegas and I will photo document the entire weekend and post the pics in CP. Trust me it will be worth it. ;)

DrumNFeather
01-31-2007, 02:23 PM
Wire it to me before my trip to Vegas and I will photo document the entire weekend and post the pics in CP. Trust me it will be worth it. ;)

Perfect!

hyrum
01-31-2007, 02:48 PM

"Gain the most return" is a bit nebulous.
It might be better to state what is the worst result you could swallow and then use that to define your level of risk.

Assuming you would not be happy with loss of capital in that time frame, for that short of time I would say buy a dividend-paying stock or a CD. If you want to take a bit more risk, I've always had good success with relatively low volatility in regional bank stocks. The interest rate environment at the moment is not real good for them but could improve by your 2-3 yr time frame. One I like is IBOC in Texas. Stay away from the housing bubble states where defaults may rise. Your mileage may vary.

jay santos
01-31-2007, 03:15 PM

I think people's biggest mistakes are not being aggressive enough with their investments.

It depends on what you need the money for in 2-3 years and how bad you'd feel if your 4K went to 3K compared to how happy you'd feel if your 4K went to 6K.

I'd open a brokerage account and put it all in one index mutual fund, that way you lose very little on transaction costs.

jay santos
01-31-2007, 03:16 PM
"Gain the most return" is a bit nebulous.
It might be better to state what is the worst result you could swallow and then use that to define your level of risk.

Assuming you would not be happy with loss of capital in that time frame, for that short of time I would say buy a dividend-paying stock or a CD. If you want to take a bit more risk, I've always had good success with relatively low volatility in regional bank stocks. The interest rate environment at the moment is not real good for them but could improve by your 2-3 yr time frame. One I like is IBOC in Texas. Stay away from the housing bubble states where defaults may rise. Your mileage may vary.

I would definitely not put all my money for a three year investment in one stock. That's just way too much unnecessary risk.

Jeff Lebowski
01-31-2007, 03:40 PM
I think people's biggest mistakes are not being aggressive enough with their investments.

It depends on what you need the money for in 2-3 years and how bad you'd feel if your 4K went to 3K compared to how happy you'd feel if your 4K went to 6K.

I'd open a brokerage account and put it all in one index mutual fund, that way you lose very little on transaction costs.

Actually, the biggest mistake I have made is being too aggressive with my investments. Oh, the money I have lost....

tooblue
01-31-2007, 04:19 PM

So what kind of index mutal fund exactly?

Mrs. tooblue is very interested in this thread and was even tempted to register to ask questions as she handles our money and we in fact have some money that currently is just sitting in a retirement savings account that we cannot touch but can invest.

jay santos
01-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Actually, the biggest mistake I have made is being too aggressive with my investments. Oh, the money I have lost....

I should qualify my statement.

Biggest mistake meaning too much money in fixed income (T-bills, bonds, etc.).

With age expectancy into the 80's and probably into the 90's for people of my age, even at retirement age, people are still on a long horizon.

The typical advice of a guy like me in my 30's putting 30% into fixed income is totally nuts, IMHO. Or someone in their 50's moving to 50%+ in fixed income--too conservative.

But once you determine your portfolio allocation, i.e. x% in fixed income, x% in stocks, x% in real estate, whatever, then you diversify to fullest extent to lower risk within your asset class and crosswise across other asset classes.

So when I say be aggressive, I mean put more money into stocks than bonds.

Buying one stock is order of magnitude more risky than buying an index fund (which I would call high risk). Leveraging a real estate purchase is order of magnitude more risky than buying one stock. And giving money to your brother-in-law as his financial partner for his business idea is order of magnitude more risky than the real estate purchase. This kind of aggressiveness is not what I'm talking about.

jay santos
01-31-2007, 04:29 PM

Mrs. tooblue is very interested in this thread and was even tempted to register to ask questions as she handles our money and we in fact have some money that currently is just sitting in a retirement savings account that we cannot touch but can invest.

If you want more education on this kind of stuff, I'd read this forum.

http://www.diehards.org/

I'm a Bogle-head.

I think these guys are generally too conservative, but the principles of investing are correct. I think it's the way to go. And the people I respect in business academia go for this way of thinking.

I'd like to hear Pelagius' take on Bogle and indexing.

Jeff Lebowski
01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Buying one stock is order of magnitude more risky than buying an index fund (which I would call high risk). Leveraging a real estate purchase is order of magnitude more risky than buying one stock. And giving money to your brother-in-law as his financial partner for his business idea is order of magnitude more risky than the real estate purchase. This kind of aggressiveness is not what I'm talking about.

These are lessons I am learning the hard way.

Mormon Red Death
01-31-2007, 05:52 PM

you are probably wanting to invest long term as you probably can't use that money for another 35-40 years. A good rule of thumb is that you diversify (always). Another rule of thumb is that from about 20-40 years old you should be in higher risk stocks (again you are diversifying and not putting all your eggs in one basket). Once you get to about 40-45 you will want to change your portfolio to moderate risk. Once you hit 60+ you will want to lower your risk more.

Now knowing your situation you will have a nice pension so this money is not essential to you buying milk when you are 65. Find some nice higher risk mutual funds that hopefully can make you 15-18% over the next 7-10 years (re-evaluate every year your portfolio)

Its probably good that you talk with a financial professional to help you with your long term investing.

jay santos
01-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Its probably good that you talk with a financial professional to help you with your long term investing.

I would avoid "financial professionals" like the plague. They will want to make a commission off you. If not, they're probably minimally educated and trained to steer you towards certain investment vehicles that may or may not be good for you.

Start with that diehards forum I linked and learn as much as you can. You can't trust anyone to take care of your money other than yourself.

bluegoose
01-31-2007, 07:44 PM

This is your first assignment for the new MBA program, isn't it.

You had better thank these guys for doing your homework for you.;)

DrumNFeather
01-31-2007, 07:57 PM
This is your first assignment for the new MBA program, isn't it.

You had better thank these guys for doing your homework for you.;)

Haha, no!

I actually think I'm trying to be more savy than I actually am. My student loan just came through and I have a little extra on it and I'm just trying to figure out a way to invest that money so I'll have a little more to start paying off my loans when I'm done.

jay santos
01-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Haha, no!

I actually think I'm trying to be more savy than I actually am. My student loan just came through and I have a little extra on it and I'm just trying to figure out a way to invest that money so I'll have a little more to start paying off my loans when I'm done.

I would be more cautious than I advised if you're investing with someone else's money.

DrumNFeather
01-31-2007, 08:22 PM
I would be more cautious than I advised if you're investing with someone else's money.

I'll either end up putting it in savings or giving it back to the school...I was just wondering if there was a safe way to accrue some interest on it while I was in school.

jay santos
01-31-2007, 08:29 PM
I'll either end up putting it in savings or giving it back to the school...I was just wondering if there was a safe way to accrue some interest on it while I was in school.

You probably could, but that's a rare case I would probably say avoid equities.

Mormon Red Death
01-31-2007, 09:34 PM

Put it in a high interest rate...savigns account..

4000 turns into $4888 in 4 years at 5% no risk at all... except taxes..

hyrum
02-01-2007, 12:16 AM

Wow, yes, me too!