PDA

View Full Version : The Tour is going to be a lot of fun this year

MikeWaters
07-02-2006, 10:59 PM
if the 1st stage is any indication. I have never seen such a ragged disorganized finish, with a no-name winning the sprint, especially when the yellow was on the line.

Frankly, the last two years have been boring, with very boring predictable tactics. Thank God for guys like Vino who spiced it up.

This year, who knows what we will see, especially if there isn't a dominant team.

This will be exciting.

Archaea
07-02-2006, 11:03 PM
so who are you picking?

Valverde looks prepared, but the loss of Basso has to hurt that team.

Landis and Leipheimer are ready to pounce. Tactics will be very ragged and tend to be during these sprinter stages. OLN will get a lot of use in our house.

il Padrino Ute
07-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Did you see the footage of the leader getting his arm getting sliced (inadvertantly) by some kind of card held by a fan on the sideline? Quite a bit of blood.

I'm not too familiar with what to look for. Any tips on how to watch it? What strategies are there that I could recognize?

I have to admit that I miss knowing who is going to win this year. It's always good to see an American dominate this tour if for no other fact than it ticks off the hosts.

I'm rooting for Zabriskie.

Archaea
07-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Zabriskie is not known to be a climber, so your cheering might last one week.

Watch via letour.fr check english and follow in the morning. Also watch OLN as they will show highlights as you prepare for work.

Watch to see which rider the team is protecter. There are quite a few teams and watch tactics. We have three weeks, with the first usually dedicated to sprinting over flats followed by two weeks of intermittent climbing where big breaks can be made. Lance was methodical.

Hincapie has Lance's team, but Hincapie is the sole Ami.

CSC is a good team that lost your Italian doper buddy, Basso. That's Zabriskie's team.

CSC will probably go with Valverde from Spain. How did he not dope? Hmm.

The big names this week probably won't be in it during the last two.

SteelBlue
07-03-2006, 12:44 AM
The first week is all about the sprinters. You'll see a select group of 3 or 4 guys who are trying to win the green jersey signifying the Tour's best sprinter. There are sprint points throughout each race with mini sprints for time bonuses. Then at the end of every stage in the first week there is a really chaotic sprint to the line for more points which the same 3 or 4 guys tend to win. They were all there today, but it was won by an unknown.

The guys who have a chance to win it all are all about self preservation in week 1. They have to stay with the main group and try not to crash. Those mad finishes often produce spectacular crashes that can ruin ones tour.

So, in week 1 it's fun to watch how the sprinters position themselves at the end. How their teammates get them to the front. It's also fun to watch the breakaway groups that are initially allowed to escape the peleton in each of the flat stages. Generally the peleton will catch them again prior to the finish line and no time is gained. But on a rare occasion a few guys are able to get away and not get caught. It's fun to watch because it screws up the sprint points for the guys who are vying for the green jersey.

MikeWaters
07-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Frankly, for the most part, the sprinter stages are boring. I'm amazed at the commentators, that they can talk for that long when nothing is going on. "Breakaway still away. Will they catch them or not?"

These stages are usually only interesting at the very end, when you get to see whether the breakaway makes it, or who wins the bunch sprint.

Mostly, these stages are a bit like fishing or sailing. You sit there and enjoy the process. You enjoy the announcers. You chill.

SteelBlue
07-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Mostly, these stages are a bit like fishing or sailing. You sit there and enjoy the process. You enjoy the announcers. You chill.
Exactly. You'll notice that everything I said to watch for can be seen in the last half hour of the stage. I can listen to those announcers all day though. I sometimes watch portions of each stage twice a day.

myboynoah
07-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Exactly. You'll notice that everything I said to watch for can be seen in the last half hour of the stage. I can listen to those announcers all day though. I sometimes watch portions of each stage twice a day.

I watch via Eurosport with most of the commentators out of the UK. I love the commentary; lots of interesting stories about the individual riders. The lone woman among the bunch (either from Canada or the US) has a major crush on Boonan. About 20 k out all the commentators announce their prediction for stage winners and she choses Boonan everytime. Then as they come racing to the finish she continues to comment on show he is doing. Even my boys are picking up on it.

OK, kind of dumb story, but I'm still enjoying this. Since coming here, I'm totally sold on this sport and le Tour in particular.

Can any of you get Eurosport?

myboynoah
07-04-2006, 02:53 PM
CSC will probably go with Valverde from Spain. How did he not dope? Hmm.

Valverde is Caisse d'Epargne. He just wiped out and is now out of the tour with what looks like a broken collar bone.

Could be opening up for the Discovery riders.

Archaea
07-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Kloeden is also a possibility for T Mobile.

Interesting day.

Too bad for Alejandro Valverde.

The Borg
07-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Anyone know of any online coverage of the Tour either radio broadcast or webcast?

Thanks in advance.

myboynoah
07-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Anyone know of any online coverage of the Tour either radio broadcast or webcast?

Thanks in advance.

Try Eurosport here:

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/tour-de-france/2006/sport_sto920451.shtml

Click on the "Live Audio" tab in the "LIVESCORE" box on the right.

I listened via Eurosport today while following live updates on the Le Tour site.

Great stuff.