PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on a trainer

bluegoose
09-14-2005, 02:46 PM
I am considering getting a trainer for the garage for the winter.

Which way should I go - magnet or fluid resistance? Are there any other options which are price comparable? Nashbar and Performance both have units that you can get for less than $250-300. Are rollers not even worth consideration?

Any recommendations?

Archaea
09-14-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't like trainers unless they are computrainer, as at least you get variable resistance, and feel like you're actually outdoors.

creekster
09-14-2005, 03:58 PM
to say when you live in a place that doesn't get snow. Rollers are great at improving your form; you will spin smoothly and efficiently after a winter of using them. OTherwise, I probably prefer fluid trainers, but I think it is a preference as opposed to an objective choice.

MikeWaters
09-14-2005, 06:56 PM
I have the performance brand fluid trainer. I can't adjust the resistance, and it is kind of like going slightly uphill. I go much faster for the same effort when out on the road. My guess is that changing resistance is not a big deal or really necessary. I've never used rollers or a computrainer.

I have a hard time actually sitting on the bike in trainer. Bored. Can't do it for very long. Probably taking a spin class would be better.

bluegoose
09-14-2005, 07:17 PM
I certainly don't look forward to the trainer this winter. A necessary evil if I want to try and stay in shape. I run a couple of days a week and last year we mountain biked on friday mornings at 5 am, but that is tough to do too often as I would have to pack up the bike and drive 15 minutes across town to hit the trails.

During the spring and summer months we hit the roads at 5 am and do about 30 miles before work. But even now it is just way too dark that early to feel safe on the road. We've had a couple of close calls (getting run off the road by idiot drivers), hopefully which my wife will never hear about. Otherwise I'll be banished to the trainer forever.

bluegoose
11-30-2005, 07:45 PM
I recently bought the Performance brand fluid trainer and have tried it out a few times. So far I love it, compared to the alternative of freezing my butt off outdoors. By playing with the gears on the bike you can vary the resistance a fair amount, but it still not enough to simulate going up a steeper grade hill, and standing on the pedals is a bit awkward.

Along with the trainer, the best thing that I got to go along with it is the book stand to attach to the handlebars. Makes 30-45 minutes in the saddle much more tolerable.

Maybe 30 minutes isn't enough though. Solvang Century is sneaking up on us....

DirtyHippieUTE
12-02-2005, 05:09 AM
I've got a Cycleops. It's good (for a trainer). Rollers are the way to go if you can get a good set and if you're not afraid of the rug burn from the "learning curve"