PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 of the commute

SteelBlue
06-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Redding's summer is upon us. I rode home in 106 degree heat yesterday. It's supposed to be 108 today and 111 by Sunday. Lucky the ride is short!

SteelBlue
06-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Today's ride home was a toasty 111 degrees. We were hotter than Vegas and Phoenix today. While I was stopped at a light, a truck pulled up next to me and the driver rolled down his window and stated "dude, you are one crazy mother f'er."

creekster
06-24-2006, 01:04 AM
And so you are! 111 is too hot, but I actually like to ride in real hot weather, as long as I odn't have too many grueling hills to do. Sadly, these days going up my slightly inclined driveway is a grueling climb, so I may not ride until next winter.

Even so, good job. I am trying to follow your example and ride more often to work.

bluegoose
06-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Have fun in 117 degrees this afternoon!!!

SteelBlue
06-26-2006, 07:04 PM
I have a home health visit in Shingletown today so I drove. I'm going to ride tomorrow though. Is it supposed to be 117 again?

bluegoose
06-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Its supposed to be a bit cooler, around 105-107ish. Just pray for a headwind. Remember the Lake Almanor century a couple of years ago? The worst part of that ride was the slightly uphill grade with the slight tail wind, making the air feel stagnant and about 20 degrees hotter than the rest of the ride.

Robin
06-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Redding's summer is upon us. I rode home in 106 degree heat yesterday. It's supposed to be 108 today and 111 by Sunday. Lucky the ride is short!

I served the mish up that neighborhood. I remember those grueling days well. We stopped riding bikes completely (it made no sense in a shirt and tie, if you were going to show up to an appointment looking like you just showered with your clothes on).

When you roll down the window of your car, the air coming in HEATS you like the air coming out of a furnace.

Redding heat makes mars look cool.

Robin
06-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Its supposed to be a bit cooler, around 105-107ish. Just pray for a headwind. Remember the Lake Almanor century a couple of years ago? The worst part of that ride was the slightly uphill grade with the slight tail wind, making the air feel stagnant and about 20 degrees hotter than the rest of the ride.

There comes a point when the temp of the air becomes painfully hot and unable to cool. At that point a tail wind is preferable to a blast furnace. But cranking the AC in a car is better still.

SteelBlue
06-26-2006, 09:04 PM
I served the mish up that neighborhood. I remember those grueling days well. We stopped riding bikes completely (it made no sense in a shirt and tie, if you were going to show up to an appointment looking like you just showered with your clothes on).

When you roll down the window of your car, the air coming in HEATS you like the air coming out of a furnace.

Redding heat makes mars look cool.

What ward were you in? Goose and I can keep you up to date on all of the people you knew.