PDA

View Full Version : Very exciting news in the bluegoose house!

bluegoose
06-19-2006, 07:39 PM
My 5 year old was finally able to kick the training wheels and is now a bonified cyclist. It was kind of funny. Last week for FHE we went out to the bike trail where I took off the training wheels and jogged along behind him while holding onto his seat or his shoulder. He was a bit wobbly even with my help.

I had to turn my attention to my 3 year old's tantrum on the sidewalk and my wife took over for awhile. She gave a little push to get started and then let him go, dropping about 50 yards behind him, cheering him on the whole way. He was cool, calm and collected, with hardly any lean or wobble. Stopping was a bit rough, kind of a Fred Fliststone stop, putting one foot down and skidding to rough stop.

We rode about 12 miles in all last week, all at his request. It was a lot of fun.

Of course, the day after he rode without training wheels for the first time he took the scooter out for a ride and proceeded to totally wipe out, scraping his face, head and all 4 extremities. Good thing Mrs. SteelBlue was there to help my wife with the kid containment and first aid.

creekster
06-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Congrats to him. My oldest two I sort of [pushed to learn early and it didn't go well and they never really took to the bike. my youngest i didn't [ush at all but when he asked he learned quickly and he is the one that likes to ride with us/me. May you have a future tour winner on your hands!

MikeWaters
06-19-2006, 09:28 PM
found out that one of my 15yo scouts doesn't know how to ride a bike.

he will be the mission comp that everyone hates.

SteelBlue
06-19-2006, 10:37 PM
I heard about his scooter wreck. Sounded really nasty! Hope he's ok now.

I took my oldest out for a ride on Saturday. It was the first time I've let him ride with me in traffic. I gave him my Rabobank jersey (the one that requires the assistance of 2 people to take off of me) and we had a great time. I was very nervous about him riding in traffic with me but he performed very well. He whooped my tail up that .5 mile grade coming out of the Sundial bridge area. Not that whooping me up a hill is indicative of any kind of skill but it made me proud of him. However, at 90 pounds and with his swimming 2-3 hours per day, he really should whoop me!