PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a mountain bike...

Surfah
06-18-2006, 03:33 AM
I am looking at getting into mountain biking as a way to get in shape but also because my brother in law and my neighbor who hits the singletracks every weekend want me to go out with them.

I have been out of the bicycle scene since I was a missionary when we would get every bike catalog in the world sent to our apartment.

What I am looking for is something suitable for the single track. Doesn't have to be full suspension, a hardtail with a nice fork would do. But if I could find a decent full suspension ride, maybe with a lockout so I could throw some slicks on for jaunts around the neighborhood or town.

I am looking to spend around $1500. Maybe a bit more for the right bike. Also, I am a big guy 6'1 275 or so. So I need something substantial and with decent components.

If you guys could point me in the right direction of where to look and maybe what to stay away from I would appreciate it.

SteelBlue
06-18-2006, 03:39 AM
Here's a pretty sweet ride that has an MSRP of 2000:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12791&bikeTab=techspec

And the still nice but more affordable versions:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06FSRxc

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12804

Here's one in your price range from Gary Fisher:
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=trail-fs&bike=Cake_2

Here's Giant's newest offering in your price range:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?model=11281

One other note. A friend of mine got a very nice full suspension bike through Supergo (now performance I believe). It was a no name frame (but reviews said the frame was good) with top of the line componentry and shocks. Because the frame wasn't big name, he didn't have to pay for their advertising campaign and he got a great bike. You might check their website and watch the catalogs. I thought he probably did it right as far as bang for the buck.

Surfah
06-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks...those look like viable options. As I read more and more about mountain bikes and full suspension, would a full suspension bike for a guy my size be worth it? I mean I keep reading about "bob" when guys get out of the saddle or hit an incline. And if these guys, who I imagine weigh 100 lbs less than I do, experience it then I imagine I'd be going up and down just pedaling.

ute4ever
06-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Is Mongoose any good? There's a local fitness club offering a free Mongoose mountain bike to new members, between now and July 8. I'm sure there is a two-year plan plus an activation fee, that seems pretty standard.

Surfah
06-18-2006, 11:02 PM
I'll never ride a Mongoose because Bart Taylor rode for Team Mongoose in the movie Rad.

I was a Redline man back in the day. Huffy too.

SteelBlue
06-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Is Mongoose any good? There's a local fitness club offering a free Mongoose mountain bike to new members, between now and July 8. I'm sure there is a two-year plan plus an activation fee, that seems pretty standard.

Mongoose used to be a good BMX company but was sold years ago. It is now a company that mass produces bikes that you buy at Wal-Mart etc... The modern day Huffy if you will. Often they are fitted with very low line componentry and sold for $100 or less. I'm almost certain that's what you'd be getting with this deal. Not worth a 2 year gym committment. The only exception I've seen is with Performance cycles. They sometimes take a Mongoose frame and fit it with very high level componentry for around $1200 bucks. I KNOW that's not what your gym is going to be doing.

SteelBlue
06-19-2006, 12:11 AM
...would a full suspension bike for a guy my size be worth it? I mean I keep reading about "bob" when guys get out of the saddle or hit an incline. And if these guys, who I imagine weigh 100 lbs less than I do, experience it then I imagine I'd be going up and down just pedaling.
That's a question for Quisqeyano. I think he used to be over 300 pounds. I've never ridden a full suspension bike. I have a Fisher hardtail that does just fine for me (though I wish I could lock out the front fork). You could get a REALLY nice hardtail in your price range.

DirtyHippieUTE
06-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Don't worry about being "bigger" and having a full suspension. I'm 240 (recently down from 280) and I ride a full suspension. Pedal bob really isn't as big a deal as most people think.

With that said: If I were new to biking and shopping for a new ride right now I'd probably go for a hard tail.

Here's my take:

A good solid hard tail is a great place to start. Hard tail frame technology doesn't change as quickly or frequently so if you buy a "quality" bike now it will last you for a long time.

When you get more into biking and lose weight you'll have a better idea of what you want in an "ideal" bike AND you'll still have the hard tail around. Having both is VERY nice. Up until recently I had an ideal set up. A FS "freeride" bike that was fun for all sorts of play and a hard tail that was super light and good for both a commuter and longer xc rides.

Once you cross over into the world of high end FS bikes there are a lot of subtle differences. After you've been riding a while and know what you're into you'll be able to make a better decision.

Thanks...those look like viable options. As I read more and more about mountain bikes and full suspension, would a full suspension bike for a guy my size be worth it? I mean I keep reading about "bob" when guys get out of the saddle or hit an incline. And if these guys, who I imagine weigh 100 lbs less than I do, experience it then I imagine I'd be going up and down just pedaling.

Quisqueyano
06-19-2006, 01:36 PM
I think you got great advice here. I agree with DHU. I wouldn't spend 1500 bucks til you are certain you are going to use the bike. Too many people buy these things and they sit in a garage.
I would opt for a hard tail. Not that there aren't good FS bikes that would work with a guy your size. It would probably just be overkill for the kind of riding you will do til you are in better shape. Also, specialized makes very good hardtails with adjustable front forks. Even at the lower end. They are great bikes.
At any rate, enjoy.