PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Bike...

The_Tick
06-16-2006, 12:56 AM
So I went into the local bike shop today and gave one of thes a spin....

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12388&bikeTab=techspec

Kinda nice. Easy ride and all. I can tell it will give me some nut numbness, but If I am going to be riding 12-13 miles to work and then back twice a week or more I am going to want to get something better than my Mountain Bike.

Question.

I rotate between 307 and 315. I am hoping to end up rotating between the 260-270 range for the rest of my life. (I used to rotate around the 500 range, so don't get all "fat" on me or anything.)

The guy at the shop said this bike would support me fine. He also mentioned that the tires are 28's and the bike will support up to 35's which is perhaps what I should do.

Price is 550. What do you all think? Can it be found cheaper?

RACE!

SteelBlue
06-16-2006, 02:27 AM
The componentry on this bike is pretty suspect. The front derailleur is part of a Shimano recreational cycling continuum that I'm not very familiar with. I have to assume it's not great. The rear derailleur is crap. Sora is the second from the bottom on Shimano's road cycling componentry list (see Shimano.com). I'm not familiar with the crankset on this bike. But, since you've said you are a big dude I think you'll want your componentry to be tougher than what you see on this bike.

For commuting it might okay, but I think you'll be disappointed with the shifting and with how the bike holds up.

Just an FYI, ebay has lots of great used bikes for great prices. I think you'd find something of a higher quality there and still be able to stay in your $550 range.

il Padrino Ute
06-16-2006, 02:30 AM
Click on that "choose your region" link and you cam choose USA and it will take you to the bicycle.

Quisqueyano
06-16-2006, 12:59 PM
I thhink for general riding, you might get away with this component set. It isn't great stuff. But if you keep it jealously tuned and clean, it will suffice. You will run into problems with things like shifting under power. it won't take the stress too many times.
If you have a good mountain bike, I would siggest you put your money into a good wheel set with road slicks, of at the very least get the tires. I think you'll find the mtb bike to be more comfortable on the longer rides. And you will appreciate the gearing options.
If your mt bike is a piece of crap, the Sirrus will work well.
They do sell the Sirrus with groups up to the Ultegra level. WHich is second from the top in Shimano-land. If you decide on this bike, spend a little more for the better groups.

creekster
06-16-2006, 03:31 PM
I think you have received pretty good advice so far. I agree withy Q that if you have a decent mtb stick with that and get some slicks and even a riser bar or a new stem or both to give you a more upright position for a whiloe, if that is what you are looking for.

The_Tick
06-16-2006, 03:53 PM
I have a Schwinn MB. It isn't a missionary "iron lung" bke, but it was somewhere in the 400.00 range.

It is heavy but could be doable. I will have to check into the road tires.

Only thing I hate about my MB is the grip shift.

Grip Shift is of the devil.

Quisqueyano
06-16-2006, 04:35 PM
I have a Schwinn MB. It isn't a missionary "iron lung" bke, but it was somewhere in the 400.00 range.

It is heavy but could be doable. I will have to check into the road tires.

Only thing I hate about my MB is the grip shift.

Grip Shift is of the devil.

Amen on that. Grip shifters were the worst idea ever.
It all comes down to how much money you want to spend. If money is tight, you have options.