PDA

View Full Version : I've decided to start riding my bike to work

SteelBlue
06-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Today was day one. A beautiful morning with temps in the low 60's at 6:30 am. All the way to work, I keep wondering to myself why I haven't done this more often. Upon arriving (thus stopping), I realized that even though it's a relatively short little ride (takes about 25-30 minutes) I sweat like a pig. I'm going to have to figure out a way to shower at work.

DirtyHippieUTE
06-14-2006, 07:29 PM
My experience...

Find a gym near to your work or ride the bus TO work and ride home.

I work in Layton and will start riding the AM bus and making the ride home when it doesn't matter if I'm sweaty and gross.

creekster
06-14-2006, 07:32 PM
I ride to work as often as I can and we habve no showers. Here are my tips for avoiding too much sweat.

1. Keep HR down and avoid pushing too hard on the way to work; save it for the ITT on the way home.

2. For the last 100-200 yards of the ride take your helmet off. I realize this may not be practical depending on where you are at. on my commute, I pull onto to a sidewalk for the last distance and ride helmetrless while there. This really cools you off significantly.

3. As soon as you get to the building bee-line for the bathroom (or locker room if you have one) and take a bunch of papertowles, douse them with cold water and sponge of your face and head and neck. Repeat as necessary to cool down.

Good luck.

Quisqueyano
06-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Another trick I heard about is to keep some baby wipes at your work that you can use for a quick marine bath. I would prefer the unscented kind.

bluegoose
06-14-2006, 07:46 PM
I ride in to work occasionally. Its only about 3 miles and is an easier ride than yours Steel. I do the same as Creekster, aside from the Helmet-less last 200 yards, which is a great idea.

How long did it take you? Couldn't you use the showers in the basement of the hospital?

The_Tick
06-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Go easy on the fat guy jokes here.....

As stated before...6'2" 307.

I am going to start riding my bike to work twice a week here within the month.

My ride is going to be 12 miles each way. I figure it will take me about an hour when I start out.

I am currently in discussion with the hospital that I work at to make it bike friendly. They don't have bike racks but that is okay as I can place it in my office.

There are a bunch of showers behind ER, but they get pissy if anyone that doesn't work in ER uses them. I am lobbying with the hospital PR guy to make the ER less pissy, and he can spin this into our hospital being environmentally and health friendly.

There is a big push in our town right now... http://www.bikebakersfield.org to get folks into biking to work.

It is a long ride, and I am a fat sweaty hog, but it is something that I would really like to do. I come into work at 7 A.M. so that helps with the heat in the morning. Can't wait for those 115 degree rides home though.

Anything else I should mention to the PR guy to make this happen?

creekster
06-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Anything else I should mention to the PR guy to make this happen?

Tell him you're going to ride to work no matter what but if they don't allow you to shower you will eat your luinch with the PR guy every day you ride.

MikeWaters
06-14-2006, 08:05 PM
just take what my friend referred to as a "mexican bath": a few sprays of cologne.

SteelBlue
06-14-2006, 09:26 PM
I ride to work as often as I can and we habve no showers. Here are my tips for avoiding too much sweat.

1. Keep HR down and avoid pushing too hard on the way to work; save it for the ITT on the way home.

2. For the last 100-200 yards of the ride take your helmet off. I realize this may not be practical depending on where you are at. on my commute, I pull onto to a sidewalk for the last distance and ride helmetrless while there. This really cools you off significantly.

3. As soon as you get to the building bee-line for the bathroom (or locker room if you have one) and take a bunch of papertowles, douse them with cold water and sponge of your face and head and neck. Repeat as necessary to cool down.

Good luck.

I did #1 (maily because I'm fat and have no choice) and #3. I don't smell today, so mission accomplished. I dig idea #2 and hadn't thought of it. I end on a nice little climb so really don't need a helmet there. I'll start that tomorrow!

Oh, bluegoose, it took me about 35 minutes because I took the wrong trail down by the bridge and did an extra mile or so before correcting the mistake. I think I can get it done in 25-30 minutes if there aren't many people on the river trail portion of the commute.

ute4ever
06-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Tim I'm 5'11" and 175, but also sweat like a "fat hog." Some people are just like that I guess.

SteelBlue
06-15-2006, 01:12 AM
Another trick I heard about is to keep some baby wipes at your work that you can use for a quick marine bath. I would prefer the unscented kind.

A great suggestion.

Robin
06-15-2006, 03:09 AM
When I lived close enough to work to ride, I would. I sweat like a fat mariachi on cinco de mayo, but lucky for me, my sweat has no odor. I would eventually dry off, and no one would know the difference.

creekster
06-15-2006, 03:30 AM
When I lived close enough to work to ride, I would. I sweat like a fat mariachi on cinco de mayo, but lucky for me, my sweat has no odor. I would eventually dry off, and no one would know the difference.

That's very amusing. I suppose you also think your flatulence is mildly pleasing to those around you?

Robin
06-15-2006, 06:08 AM
That's very amusing. I suppose you also think your flatulence is mildly pleasing to those around you?

Actually my flatulence is full of strong pheromones. Whenever I fart, I have to fend of the women from trying to get into my pants.