PDA

View Full Version : Long Slow Distance (LSD)

DirtyHippieUTE
06-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Does this theory apply for cyclling as well? I've been feeling like a total dog riding in Utah. I don't know if the hills are just that much steeper in Bountiful or if I'm slowly slipping out of shape but I've really been having trouble grinding up the hills.

I find myself looking for a lower gear and there is no relief to be found. I've swallowed my pride and just accepted the fact that a solid hour on the bike is good even if I feel like I'm creeping along.

The scary thing... My HRM says I'm in the 160 - 170 range for the whole hour. I can get down into the 130s on decent but even when I don't feel like I'm working that hard my ticker is pushing MHR.

Is there no relief for the fat guy?

Quisqueyano
06-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Does this theory apply for cyclling as well? I've been feeling like a total dog riding in Utah. I don't know if the hills are just that much steeper in Bountiful or if I'm slowly slipping out of shape but I've really been having trouble grinding up the hills.

I find myself looking for a lower gear and there is no relief to be found. I've swallowed my pride and just accepted the fact that a solid hour on the bike is good even if I feel like I'm creeping along.

The scary thing... My HRM says I'm in the 160 - 170 range for the whole hour. I can get down into the 130s on decent but even when I don't feel like I'm working that hard my ticker is pushing MHR.

Yes that theory applies to cycling. The only relief for a fat guy comes when you aren't fat anymore. If you feel like you are really struggling, pay more attention to the time that you are riding. Ride as long as possible.
The weight will come off and your cardio contition will improve. Just don't let yourself get frstrated to the point that you put the bike away.
Also, keep in mind that some days are beeter that others. There are days that I feel like a slug. The next day, I feel like a world beater.

Archaea
06-13-2006, 02:15 PM

LSD is more important in cycling than running. You need a two month period minimum of LSD. However, you have your heart rate up too high to qualify.

You should gradually increase time and distance. When you're doing four hour comfortably, only then should you mix in other work.

DirtyHippieUTE
06-13-2006, 04:43 PM
However, you have your heart rate up too high to qualify.

I guess the answer for me now is to hit some flats. Even when I feel like I'm just out for a stroll the HR jumps WAY up anytime I'm climbing. I live on the bench in Bountiful so any ride involves some real grinding climbs.

Any suggestions from Utah riders? I've ridden the causeway to Antelope before. Is the Jordan River parkway worth the trip? Maybe someplace out in the west side of the valley?

Quisqueyano
06-13-2006, 05:34 PM
I guess the answer for me now is to hit some flats. Even when I feel like I'm just out for a stroll the HR jumps WAY up anytime I'm climbing. I live on the bench in Bountiful so any ride involves some real grinding climbs.

Any suggestions from Utah riders? I've ridden the causeway to Antelope before. Is the Jordan River parkway worth the trip? Maybe someplace out in the west side of the valley?

Stay away from the Jordan River Parkway unless you are a closet gay man looking for an elixit experience.
The far west side of the valley has 1 great ride. it is where I cut my teeth as a cyclist in my long past days of youth. Go to Magna and park in the parking lot on 3500 south and 8400 west. Then head south on your bike on 8400 west. There are some long climbs that will kick your butt. But each climb is rewarded with a great downhill. I used to spend all day on that roller coaster.

mtnbiker310
06-13-2006, 08:36 PM
How far do you want to ride and how far do you want to drive to get there? You could follow parts of the SL Century route. www.cyclesaltlakecentury.com has the map. The entire route has arrows & smilies spray-painted on the road, so you could just follow those.

Maybe too far south for you, but you could go to 13th West in South Jordan (in front of the South Jordan temple) and just head south for an out-and-back ride. The road is fairly level and not too busy, and you can ride all the way down to the Bluffdale exit of I-15. Then turn around and come back.

Or you could go to the new Daybreak area. Go to 106th South, west of Bangerter (40th West?), and head north. Take a bit of a zig-zag route past the Airport #2 and ride to the Olympic Oval and back.

Those 2 South Jordan routes will get you about 20 miles each. If you want more miles, do both, or do one of them twice.

Quisqueyano
06-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Hey mtnbiker310, have you tried the race loop at Thanksgiving Point? It's 10 miles of a good time. I recommend it.

mtnbiker310
06-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Getting off the topic of the original post, but no, I haven't done the race loop. Don't know the route. Is it just up and down the roads behind the point? When my wife and I do a Saturday morning road ride, we often ride north to the mouth of AF canyon, along the Alpine Hwy to TP, then back south, but we don't normally do side roads or other loops along the way.

Quisqueyano
06-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Getting off the topic of the original post, but no, I haven't done the race loop. Don't know the route. Is it just up and down the roads behind the point? When my wife and I do a Saturday morning road ride, we often ride north to the mouth of AF canyon, along the Alpine Hwy to TP, then back south, but we don't normally do side roads or other loops along the way.

I ride those same roads a lot. The race loop is for mtn bikes. It is in the empty fields south of the main body of TP. Lots of switchbacks and rocks. No climbs.