PDA

View Full Version : Need Road Tires...

DirtyHippieUTE
06-12-2006, 10:02 PM
I've got to get some new tires for my ancient Trek. The ones I'm riding on are as bald as a.... (well, they're bald)...

And I think they've got at least one spot where there is only a small, partially open flap of rubber between road and tube.

I'm thinking I'm going to go super cheap (because I have no money). There are a couple on Performance Bike and Nashbar that are down in the $10 range.

My question... Some are 700x23, 24, 22, etc...

What size do I want?

bluegoose
06-12-2006, 10:31 PM
What do you have on the bike right now?

I go with a 700 x 23. I used to ride with a 700x20, but there is really no reason why most people need to go that skinny.

DirtyHippieUTE
06-12-2006, 10:51 PM
I have no idea what they are...

Here are the factors to consider...

Very old bike...
Very big rider...
Very small budget...

I hope to get a new road bike in the near future... In the mean time I just want to get something that doesn't have places where I can see the tube.

creekster
06-12-2006, 10:55 PM
if you are , in fact, a clydesdale, then I would go with 28s or even 32s. The gain in speed from lower rolling resistance in skiinny tires is easily lost when you are sitting on the side of the road changing a tire.

BG: WHat tires did you end up getting? I am waiting with bated breath top find out.

Archaea
06-12-2006, 11:13 PM
if you are , in fact, a clydesdale, then I would go with 28s or even 32s. The gain in speed from lower rolling resistance in skiinny tires is easily lost when you are sitting on the side of the road changing a tire.

BG: WHat tires did you end up getting? I am waiting with bated breath top find out.

32s?

Armadillos!

bluegoose
06-13-2006, 12:03 AM

Sorry I forgot to reply last time it came up.

I went with the Michelin Carbons. The Performance sale was too hard to pass up. I initially said that I questioned their durability. But they've held up really well. I think my initial reaction was due to the trainer effect, where they square off from contact with the roller. Since the weather turned nice and I've had them exclusively on the road, they are holding up very well. I really like the feel of them on the road and have had no handling difficulties since I put them on.

Nashbar has some Hutchinson carbon tires on sale right now I may pick up. I have to place an order for a new rear cassette for my 2nd bike and may try it out and see if I like it. Have you used Hutchinson much? iirc, there was a little segment during last years tour about their tubeless thread. Something about it not experiencing any flats during the entire tour. If that is the case, it is an amazing statistic.

Archaea
06-13-2006, 12:43 AM
P.S. Don't ever do 19s if you're doing a race in New Zealand.

They won't hold up.

DirtyHippieUTE
06-13-2006, 01:12 AM
P.S. Don't ever do 19s if you're doing a race in New Zealand.

They won't hold up.

Speaking of things to "do" your photo is effecting my salvation... Or salivation... one or the other...

Archaea
06-13-2006, 01:18 AM
Just trying to spice up the joint.

There are reasons why old men like cycling.

Quisqueyano
06-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Alright Archea. This is totally off topic. But I can't stop laughing. You have a new avatar. But haven't changed the statement about it in your signature line. You're killing me. They don't really go together anymore.

Quisqueyano
06-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Speaking of things to "do" your photo is effecting my salvation... Or salivation... one or the other...

There you guys go again. New picture. Keep referencing the old one.

DirtyHippieUTE
06-13-2006, 01:59 PM
I looked last night and I'm currently running 25s. I noticed that they are so old the rubber on the sides has become brittle.