PDA

View Full Version : Tandem Mountain Bikes....

The_Tick
05-30-2006, 05:27 PM
I am phat. Not 500 lbs. fat (that was 4 years ago) but I am about 315. I don't want a road bike because I am fat and don't care about TT and intervals and stuff.

My wife is about 140 and can't keep up with me on our mountain bikes. She is 5'2" and I am 6'2". If I stay with her, I don't get anything out of our 5-7 mile rides (a few times a week). If I bike to get a workout, she gets "upset" because we are supposed to be spending time together....

So the thought of a tandem comes to mind....

How does that work?

Quisqueyano
05-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Just out of curiosity,why can't you ride 5 miles with the wife, then drop her off and do another 20?

The_Tick
05-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Did you miss the fat part?

You guys are all small and healthy. I am not.

When you live somewhere where it is 100+ for 5 months a year, you don't look to spend more time in the sun. You look to spend more effective time.

I would like to ride 20 miles with the wife, that would be great.

I do extra rides by myself but it ends up being a hastle sometimes...

creekster
05-30-2006, 05:58 PM
I am phat. Not 500 lbs. fat (that was 4 years ago) but I am about 315. I don't want a road bike because I am fat and don't care about TT and intervals and stuff.

My wife is about 140 and can't keep up with me on our mountain bikes. She is 5'2" and I am 6'2". If I stay with her, I don't get anything out of our 5-7 mile rides (a few times a week). If I bike to get a workout, she gets "upset" because we are supposed to be spending time together....

So the thought of a tandem comes to mind....

How does that work?

It works GREAT. I am not as tall as you, but I am a clydesdale. My wife is a little taller than yours but also a little lighter. We have been tandeming for the last 6 years on a Cannondale MT2000 and we cannot reccommend it highly enough. At 455 you are a heavy team but still easily accomodated by the right frame/gruppe/wheelset combo.

IMO the best thing you can do at this point is subscribe to the list serve at

http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/home-pages/wade/tandem.html

and read it for a few weeks. Then search its archives (there are many many posts in the past about buying used tandems and there is an active thread going right now about it). THen start looking around for something that suits you. ALso, see if therre is a local tandem club, or a local bike club with tandem riders, who can also be a resource. Finally, let me know if you have any questions. I am a huge tandem advocate (sadly, in more ways than one) and would be happy to answer any questions you might have. I can honestly say that our tandem and triple have been great investments in our recreation time and our marriage.

creekster
05-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Just out of curiosity,why can't you ride 5 miles with the wife, then drop her off and do another 20?

BEcasue they want to do it together. Tandeming is great that way. My wife is in great shape, but she doesn't really like to dig in on the bike like I do, although she loves the low stress work out she gets on the bike. I like to ride harder and faster than she does. On half-bikes neither of us were ever happy. She was too slow, I was too fast, I had to wait, she couldn't watch the scenery, etc. On the tandem, we are never separated and we can each work as hard as we want. Plus, it has allowed us to spend a lot more time together. We have ridden numerous centuries and charity rides together, which we would never have been able to do happily on singles, and we ride togther regularly on the weekends which we never did on the singles becasue of our different styles.

I also advocate a mountain tandem becasue of its versatility; you lose road speed, but it is nice to be able tot ake off on a trail when you see one that looks interesting.

Quisqueyano
05-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Just relax everybody. Geez!
I was just asking a question because I don't know all the details of Tick's life.
The reality is, that he needs more of a workout thathe can get riding with his wife. So, I instictively look at the no-cost solution first.
Tick, I know it isn't fun, but I regularly ride when the temp. is near 100. I just take a lot of water and GU with me.
If being with the wifre is the most important thing, then spend the money on a tandem. My wife is over weight and it would do her wonders if i could get her out with me.
Everybody has different circumstances and training needs. Find what works best for you and stick with it consistently.

creekster
05-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Just relax everybody. Geez!
I was just asking a question because I don't know all the details of Tick's life.
The reality is, that he needs more of a workout thathe can get riding with his wife. So, I instictively look at the no-cost solution first.
Tick, I know it isn't fun, but I regularly ride when the temp. is near 100. I just take a lot of water and GU with me.
If being with the wifre is the most important thing, then spend the money on a tandem. My wife is over weight and it would do her wonders if i could get her out with me.
Everybody has different circumstances and training needs. Find what works best for you and stick with it consistently.

Who's not relaxed? I SAID WHO'S NOT RELAXED???!?!

that was TIC.

I ride a fair amount in temps over 100 also. And your advice is good, but tandmening is something that can be good for many reasons. No problem here.

Archaea
05-30-2006, 06:48 PM
What would a Utahn know about riding in 100 degree heat, unless you're from St. George.

Ask a Las Vegan or Phoenix resident about heat. How do we do it. Ride early or wear a Camelback.

Quisqueyano
05-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Who's not relaxed? I SAID WHO'S NOT RELAXED???!?!

that was TIC.

I ride a fair amount in temps over 100 also. And your advice is good, but tandmening is something that can be good for many reasons. No problem here.

I know. I was just joking too.

Quisqueyano
05-30-2006, 07:15 PM
What would a Utahn know about riding in 100 degree heat, unless you're from St. George.

Ask a Las Vegan or Phoenix resident about heat. How do we do it. Ride early or wear a Camelback.

It gets hot here. ot that I'm a meterologist or anything. But we spend lots of days in the summer in the 90-105 range. I realize that's a big swing. But it does get hot. I am sure that now that I have said that, someone will post the 30 year average for the May to September months.
That was TIC. I guess I should point that out because my sacrastic wit doesn't come across in my typing.

creekster
05-30-2006, 07:23 PM
It gets hot here. ot that I'm a meterologist or anything. But we spend lots of days in the summer in the 90-105 range. I realize that's a big swing. But it does get hot. I am sure that now that I have said that, someone will post the 30 year average for the May to September months.
That was TIC. I guess I should point that out because my sacrastic wit doesn't come across in my typing.

To be honest (and this is meant in the best way possible) the sarcastic part comes through clarly, its the wit I keep missing. ;-)

Quisqueyano
05-30-2006, 07:46 PM
To be honest (and this is meant in the best way possible) the sarcastic part comes through clarly, its the wit I keep missing. ;-)

Now you sound like my wife...and parents...and most people that know me for that matter.
Thanks for the laugh.

bluegoose
05-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Ask and ye shall receive.

Month Avg Hi (Provo) Record Hi
May 76 103
June 86 102
July 92 110
Aug 90 104
Sept 79 97

There was really no point in publishing the data. I'm exhausted from reading the politico discussion in other forums, I needed something light to do.

Bakersfield is one of the hotter, more miserable places on the planet, or at least in the central california valley. I certainly understand Ticks concerns about being out riding in the midday heat. Thats what 5:00 in the morning is for. I still wear arm warmers and a vest when out riding in the mornings.

I look forward to the day when we can get a tandem and ride together. Having little kids around make it nearly impossible to have the same outdoor exercise habits. Maybe in a few years.

However, if we ever do decide to get a tandem, I, like creekster, may choose to not give up my solo riding, as my wife and I have much different goals for spending time on the bike.