PDA

View Full Version : Triathlon

cougjunkie
05-30-2006, 03:39 PM
on saturday in Salem, Utah they had a triathlon it was actually a 1/2 tri., 3 guys i work with participated. One guy has done over 30 tris and has been pretty successful he weighed 320 pounds 2 years ago and is now down to 190 and participates in at least 1 tri a month.

Another guy just lost 40 pounds over the past 4 months and wanted to see how he would do.

The third kid is in pretty good shape, but did nto train at all for this thing, went in very cocky.

Final Results:

The almost pro triathlete finished in a time of 1 hour and 20 minutes.
The kid that lost 40 pounds finished in 1 hour and 26 minutes and the
cocky punk that never trained finished in 1 hour and 6 minutes and he went off course and out of his way almost 2 miles.

The wannabe pro guy is very upset and is beating himself up about this i mean emotionally he is a wreck. This guy is already unstable check out his blog and you will know what i mean www.triracer.com but he is also twice the age of the other kid.

My question is are any of you so competitive that when you lose it just eats at you to the point where you cant sleep at night adn all you do is replay what happened in your head?

I consider myself a competitive person and i hate to lose, but some people are over the top.

Quisqueyano
05-30-2006, 03:47 PM
What were the distances involved?
Those times don't mesh with what I understand to be a half-tri.
Sounds more like a sprint tri.

bigpiney
05-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Good for him for no longer being a huge fat ass.

I am very competitive, very. But I let it go. Especailly things I have no control over. I can control how hard I work an how much time I put in training, but some people are going to beat me no matter what I do.

I suck at basketball, but I also don't want to put the time in to get better.

I am not a runner, I used to hate running. But as I have started to do triathlons, I have learned that it is a necessary evil. I can train to do well in the run, but some of those guys are always going to beat me. It just hurts too much to try and get faster and I don't want it that bad. When I run in local races, I know that a bunch of people are going to beat me, becuase they are training to run 50 miles and I train to run 6.
I tend to compete against myself. If I can do better than I have done in the past, then I am happy. If I have a bad day, well I don't dwell on it, I move on. Getting worked up over that just isn't healty.

bigpiney
05-30-2006, 04:12 PM
It was a sprint.
http://www.salemspringtri.com/

Archaea
05-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Your older friend sounds overtrained. If you do not go through proper cycles, with rest being incorporated, you start getting flat performances.

Additionally, a sprint is probably not a good distance for an older athlete. It doesn't require the same type of fitness, and our ability to sprint the 5K diminishes, if we didn't start out as highly ranked middle distance runners.

I'm experiencing the same lows as your friend as I've had a bunch of flat performances.