PDA

View Full Version : Shaving...

DirtyHippieUTE
05-14-2006, 12:05 AM
Today my season officially began...

School is out and I could no longer stand to be "that guy" out there on the road bike in pi shorts with the beautiful plumes of shag down the legs...

I always feel a little queer (and not in the homosexual sense) when I go for the first shave of the season.

For those of you who ARE NOT triathletes... How far up do you go? The "G" line? Beyond? I'm a "G" line man myself... I can't get over how funny it looks in the mirror when I get out of the shower.

Validate me here... I'm feeling a little gay.

Archaea
05-14-2006, 12:16 AM
What's this bias against triguys?

We triguys do it slightly above the G line, so when you roll up the jersey bibs, you still see smooth skin.

I still cut my legs fiercely but what the hell.

il Padrino Ute
05-14-2006, 12:29 AM
Am I supposed to shave my legs for cycling?

What have I gotten myself into?

DirtyHippieUTE
05-14-2006, 02:20 AM
What's this bias against triguys?

Most of the triguys I know shave up to the speedo line. I guess that has changed with the new kinds of speed shorts people are wearing. My good friend is a triathlete and he shaves a little higher than I like to talk about.

Quisqueyano
05-15-2006, 06:17 PM
What is the real reason cyclists are supposed to shave their legs?
I have yet to hear a reason I believe.

DirtyHippieUTE
05-15-2006, 06:47 PM
What is the real reason cyclists are supposed to shave their legs?
I have yet to hear a reason I believe.

Reason #1 and the only one I buy...

Have you ever slid across the road with hairy legs? Without?

Huge difference...
With hair = huge raspberries larger chunks of torn skin.
W/o hair = cleaner cuts/scrapes less giant torn patches.

Having experienced both, I will continue to shave during the active season.

Quisqueyano
05-15-2006, 08:11 PM
I had never heard that. i have heard that it prevents infections from a wreck. I'll take your word for it and continue to shave.

DirtyHippieUTE
05-15-2006, 08:21 PM
I had never heard that. i have heard that it prevents infections from a wreck. I'll take your word for it and continue to shave.
I don't buy the infection argument but I'd like to hear somebody else's input on that, but as far as I know the only difference (other than looking "faster" and cool) the main reason is to reduce the severity of injuries.

creekster
05-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Just MO, but it is becasue your leg muscles look bigger, stronger and more professional bike-racer-like when shaven.

I have heard all the other supposed reasons, fewer injuries, fewer infections, wind resistance, etc., but i have yet to see the rider that shaves his arms for any of these reasons.

bluegoose
05-15-2006, 11:18 PM
The only valid reason for shaving legs is as hippie mentioned - to make wound care easier after road rash.

Road rash totally sucks with hairy legs, not only getting debris out but also further along when the scabs are coming off.

Wind resistance is total bunk, imho, considering all other sources of wind resistance between bike and rider.

Any other reason for shaving legs is purely cosmetic.

And btw, il padrino, I've not yet joined the ranks of the silky and smooth legged cyclists. Keep the faith and take your chances with the road rash in my opinion.

SteelBlue
05-15-2006, 11:26 PM
The only valid reason for shaving legs is as hippie mentioned - to make wound care easier after road rash.

But what about Creekster's point regarding the arms? I think I agree with Creekster. People do it because they like the way it looks. Beyond that any benefit seems weak to me.

bluegoose
05-15-2006, 11:39 PM
For me, and probably most people, there is no comparison between the amount of hair on my arms and my legs, especially my elbows where I would be most likely to make contact with the pavement.

Have you ever tried to take a bandage off a hairy leg or arm? I slid several times on artificial turf last year playing softball and ended up with some nasty burns on my leg. The worst part was by far the hair and the bandages.

But I agree - most people do it to make their calves look nice and shapely. Seriously, aside from hard core racers, how many of us rec riders have actually taken a spill on the road? That is, aside from not being able to get the cleat out of the pedal when you first go clipless.

SteelBlue
05-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Seriously, aside from hard core racers, how many of us rec riders have actually taken a spill on the road? That is, aside from not being able to get the cleat out of the pedal when you first go clipless.

Wow, that really happens to people? I can't imagine.;)

Archaea
05-16-2006, 12:41 AM
But I agree - most people do it to make their calves look nice and shapely. Seriously, aside from hard core racers, how many of us rec riders have actually taken a spill on the road? That is, aside from not being able to get the cleat out of the pedal when you first go clipless.
I must confess to having been hit, having hard core falls, and needing to use the bandage.

Serious road rash hurts like hell.

I shave, cuz some hard body girls commented how they love my calves. That was enough for me. If a hard body gal compliments any part of me, the head above my shoulders swell.

For us triguys, lack of hair makes it easier to remove the wetsuit as well. An added benefit not originally contemplated.

DirtyHippieUTE
05-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Seriously, aside from hard core racers, how many of us rec riders have actually taken a spill on the road? That is, aside from not being able to get the cleat out of the pedal when you first go clipless.

I've got two "big" slides under my belt and a few minor dings. One was at a pretty good speed. I was going downhill and around a very slight curve when I hit one of those patches of "goo" pavement that get really slick when it's over 100F in SLC.

I probably slid for about 20' it was not a happy time.

The 2nd eat was going down Emmigration Canyon when a big truck decided to brush just a little too close. The wind made me wobble and "Goose" and I had a flame out from the jetwash... Goose hit his head on the canopy when we ejected but fortunately for me I had shaved my legs and the slide didn't hurt as bad as the last time. Sometimes I still hold on to Goose's dog tags and hope he'll talk to me.

creekster
05-16-2006, 05:01 PM
I have taken more than a few spills over the years and have had road rash on just about all parts of my body. The worst i ever had it was once when I was hit by a car (the car's fault; ran a stop sign) and I took a spectacular flying roll. I have moderately hairy legs, or at least I did before the fall, but the hair on just about all of my extremities was gone after I finished rolling/sliding/skidding. But his was not the real problem. The real probelm was where I had skidded on my shoulder which sort of melded my jersy and my flesh together. Very messy to clean out.

My point, and yes there is one, is that the medicinal benefits, to the extent they exist at all, are very minimal IMO. The main benefit is that riders seem to like it, for whatever reason. SO if you like it, and it makes you feel faster or better or cooler or more hygenic, or safer or more attractive or whatever, then do it. And I freely admit that just becasue my opinion is mine it is still very possibly wrong.

I have never had to pull a wet suit on or off in the heat of battle, however, so maybe Arch's comments about tri-guys is valid; I have no experience in that area.