PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bit concerned about this weekend

bluegoose
05-09-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm signed up to do the Tour of the Unknown coast in Northern California this weekend.

http://www.tuccycle.org/

It is a very tough century, with over 9000 feet of climbing, much of it coming after 80 miles. There is a 7-8 mile grade at about mile 40, and a 9-10 mile climb at about mile 85. Add to that a short (1-2 mile), but very steep climb (18-22%) at mile 80, and my quads are already burning just thinking about it.

I did it last year and felt pretty well through most of it. This year, the crazy rainy season has curtailed many of my long rides into the mountains. I've done a fair amount of speed work with some interval training, but basically no long, uphill grinders.

Any suggestions on how to survive on minimal climbing? Or perhaps just a little moral support or a shoulder to cry on?

Archaea
05-09-2006, 08:51 PM
bigger back cog size.

Use a 27 so that you spin more. And take pain pills.

bluegoose
05-09-2006, 08:58 PM
I've got a triple chainring up front (Smallest ring is 30, I believe) and a 25 in the rear, so I should, in theory, have enough gearing. Anything bigger in the rear would be strictly for climbing trees.

Thats a good point about the pain pills that I hadn't considered. I hope that my low back holds up okay, considering that aside from Solvang 2 months ago, my longest ride this spring has been less than 3 hours.

MikeWaters
05-10-2006, 02:04 AM
hydrate, keep your energy up with food, draft a lot, don't expend too much energy in the beginning.

creekster
05-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Can you do the course in reverse? Youknow, start at the top of the hills? 9000' of descernding sounds easier than 9000' of climbing.

Good luck. Sounds tough and confimrs that I am ready only to talk with, not ride with, arch, Mike Q and you (and Steel and so forth).

bluegoose
05-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Can you do the course in reverse? Youknow, start at the top of the hills? 9000' of descernding sounds easier than 9000' of climbing.

Good luck. Sounds tough and confimrs that I am ready only to talk with, not ride with, arch, Mike Q and you (and Steel and so forth).

Thats not a bad idea. I'll bring it up with the ride officials. Get all the hard stuff done at the beginning of the ride, and just coast the last 40 miles.

I am certainly in no hurry to finish this ride and thus would have no problem spinning the whole ride. The only problem is my buddies are planning to ride very hard, and we are all caravanning together with our families. By the time I finish they will probably have already eaten, showered, changed, packed the cars, cleaned the bikes, checked out of the hotel, and walked 7 miles back into the ride to help carry me to the finish. I just hope they save me some food.