PDA

View Full Version : Larry H. Miller backing tour of Utah

bluegoose
05-05-2006, 04:22 PM
The tour of Utah picked up a new primary sponsor this week.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9822.0.html

Reference is about half way down the article.

I think this has the potential to be a great race, right up there with CA and Georgia.

Quisqueyano
05-05-2006, 06:07 PM
The LHM group actually decided to back the race a few months ago. Budget is 800K.
It should be a great race. I am friends with one of the organizers. i hope to volunteer.

Quisqueyano
05-05-2006, 06:09 PM
I just went to the link. Jason Preston is the friend I was referring to. Great guy. Should be awesome.

creekster
05-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Should be a nice event, although I am not sure it fits in as well to the pro calendar as does Georgia or Claiforniua so as to get some of the bigger names. Most fo them will have just finsihed the TdF or will be going for the Vuelta, so they will not go to Utah (I cold be wrong about the timeing, I suppose, as this is from memory). The event itself looks great, but I don't think you are likely to get the top European or American talent to show up for it.

bluegoose
05-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Your right creekster. I don't envision any of the American tours drawing any of the top euro riders any time soon. Its too bad too. I think that Utah and CA could both make for decent rides.

Until cycling takes off in America like it has in Europe, its not happening. When Steel was in the Netherlands, he said the top 3 sports were soccer, cycling and speed skating. Thats probably fairly typical for most of europe. Except maybe for the skating part. Thats just wrong.