PDA

View Full Version : running shoes

creekster
05-02-2006, 10:13 PM
I know this is cycling, but it also seems to be a general exercise group too, sop here goes:

My wife has caught the running bug (which is fine becacsue it will just make her a better stoker on the tandem). She developed some heel problems and went to the docotr who told her, essentially, that her shoes, some sort of nikes, were crap and that she should get either some new balance or some asics.

ANy thoughts from you experienvced runners out there? I don't think she has any pronation issues, I think he just wanted her to have a high quality cushion. He specifically said to avoid Nike and Adididas, which I thought was interesting.

Advice appreciated.

bluegoose
05-02-2006, 10:23 PM
What type of heel pain are we talking about here? Most common reference is to heel pain on the bottom of the foot at the insertion of the plantar fascia. Not quite as common would be pain actually on the weight-bearing surface of the calcaneous - most likely calcaneal bursitis or some sort of bone bruise.

As far as shoes, I've never been a fan of Nike or Adidas running shoes. I developed some calcaneal pain with a pair of adidas several years ago, I believe due to poor cushioning. The one pair of Nike's that I had just was poorly made. They probably have better models, I just didn't find them.

I've had the best luck with Brooks and Asics in the past. Good support and stability, with plenty of cushioning, imho.

fusnik11
05-02-2006, 10:25 PM
I know this is cycling, but it also seems to be a general exercise group too, sop here goes:

My wife has caught the running bug (which is fine becacsue it will just make her a better stoker on the tandem). She developed some heel problems and went to the docotr who told her, essentially, that her shoes, some sort of nikes, were crap and that she should get either some new balance or some asics.

ANy thoughts from you experienvced runners out there? I don't think she has any pronation issues, I think he just wanted her to have a high quality cushion. He specifically said to avoid Nike and Adididas, which I thought was interesting.

Advice appreciated.

Tell her to go to a running shoe store...

They can put her on a device and see what type of shoes best fit her gait, pressure points, etc....

Archaea
05-02-2006, 10:28 PM

Advice appreciated.

I've researched this topic extensively, and you can avoid many foot problems with proper footware.

First acquire proper footware and second, reacquire every three to four hundred miles.

For light persons, acquire Asics Kayanos; for people over 200, Asics Evolution.

Some New Balance aren't bad and for offroad, Montrails are great.

Get the top of the line; spare no expense in running shoes. You won't regret it.

This comes also from my friend, the ultra distance runner who owns a running shoe store.

FarrahWaters
05-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Tell her to go to a running shoe store...

They can put her on a device and see what type of shoes best fit her gait, pressure points, etc....

I think that's the best thing to do. They can watch her foot as she runs on a treadmill and find the best shoe for her. This topic came up on another board I'm on, and someone suggested this site http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=235&topcategory=Foot

If she has flat feet, some people recommend arch supports, or a shoe called Brooks Adrenaline

Archaea
05-02-2006, 10:50 PM
that's not bad, but the best shoe bar none is the Asics.

A better choice is to take the Asics and to buy a different insert, based on arch support and weether she pronates or supernates. I get the two confused, but running on the outside is the preferred method. Running on the inside is worst, and running even, rare, is okay as well.

New Balance and Brooks also have shoes but the best shoe is not Adidas, or Nike, Pegasus. Those companies are behind the times.

creekster
05-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Thnaks for the input. There is a specialty running shoe store not too far from our house and I think it sells Asics. So I will probably combine the advice and take her there for analysis as to which Asics to buy.