PDA

View Full Version : Favorite roadie tires

bluegoose
05-02-2006, 10:06 PM
I am in the market for a new road tire. Any recs?

2 years ago I was trying out a new pair of Specialized Mondo tires, and slid out on a downhill, slicing open the side wall, and taco-ing and effectively destroying my rear wheel.

Vowing never to use it again, I removed them and put on a pair of Michelin Carbon road tires. I liked them well enough, but they didn't even make it through an entire season.

So yesterday I put on the other Specialized Mondo tire that didn't slide out last time, hoping it was just a fluke the first time. While riding over to SteelBlue's house to lift weights last night, crazy lady at an intersection comes jamming right through the stopsign, nearly taking me out. I had to hit the brakes pretty hard to stop. As I did, the rear tire totally skids out, very similar to the way it did on the downhill a couple of years.

So, needless to say, I'm not impressed with Specialized tires.

Any other favorites? I'm ususally not picky, but I think I probably should be when it comes to the tires.

creekster
05-02-2006, 10:08 PM
WHat sort of perfromance are you looking for? Do you race on these or only training?

BEfore going further, you should know that I have a long time taste for Contis, although I have used others.

bluegoose
05-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Mainly for training and group rides, with the occasional century and possible road race.

creekster
05-02-2006, 11:28 PM
I have some conti GP 3000s that I love. COmpound is a little hard, and they aren't the lightest, if memory serves, but they last forever and rarely, if ever, flat. I tyhink these are perfect for the sort of all around use you are describing. They now have the GP 4000 which is supposed to be better and have less rolling resistance. Joe Bob says check it out.

I have also used some hutchinson (Carbon comps and I think fusion comps(?)) in the past and really like their ride, but it felt like I was spending more time changing flat tires than I was riding. Maybe if you are a lightweight they would be OK, but otherwesie I wouldn't get them.

In the past I used vittorias, that I thought were ok and, I must admit, I have never used MIchelin. Something about that big tire guy sort of freaks me out.

On balance, in the past three years I have put on thousands of miles on several sets of contis (T&C on the tandem, Top Tourers on the tourer and GP 3000 on the road bike) and have had a total of one flat, and that was on the SLC to St. George tour where I managed to pick up a 2 inch nail that went right in to the tire. Not sure how I even managed to do that, but otherwsie, no flats at all, and I am no small load. So I am a Conti fan.

Archaea
05-02-2006, 11:57 PM
I like the Conti 3000s as well. Expensive and good all around tire. Heavy though.

bluegoose
05-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Come to think of it, I have ridden on some Conti 2000's and really liked them.

It sounds like the GP 3000 or 4000 would be a good choice for me, as nothings craps on a ride like a flat. How do they handle?

creekster
05-03-2006, 12:40 AM
I have no problem with the conti's handling, although I don't race. Arch may have more input on this issue. in general, I have to say I preferred the handling of the hutchinson's, which to me felt light but grippy in the corners. It turns out they were grippy; they gripped every piece of glass and sharp debris they ever touched and pulled it right into the tube. A real drag.

Arch is also right that the contis are on the heavy side, but IMO this is easily balanced by their durability and long tread wear.

MikeWaters
05-03-2006, 02:55 AM
I've used Hutchinson Carbon Comps. ($25 at Performance). Just ordered a Michelin Carbon ($20), never used Michelin before. I currently have a Vredestein. Has worked fine.

You can save a lot of money on tires online. When I do a century, I always carry an extra tire.

Archaea
05-03-2006, 03:54 AM
I won't take a corner as aggressively as the best crit riders, so I don't care about Hutchi's grippiness. Replacing them gets too expensive.

mtnbiker310
05-03-2006, 02:26 PM
I've mostly used Continental Ultra 2000s. I think Performance has a sale on them right now. But I don't race; just 30-40 mile Saturday rides with my wife and a century here and there. I tried a Michelin tire once, but didn't care for it much. Seemed like it was always getting little slices in it. It was also _very_ tight, and tough to get on and off the rim.

creekster
05-03-2006, 03:27 PM
I've mostly used Continental Ultra 2000s. I think Performance has a sale on them right now. But I don't race; just 30-40 mile Saturday rides with my wife and a century here and there. I tried a Michelin tire once, but didn't care for it much. Seemed like it was always getting little slices in it. It was also _very_ tight, and tough to get on and off the rim.

I have actually heard the same ting about Michelin with respect to the ease of mounting, but I have been told by a shop owner that this just depends on the tire/rim combination. Who knows.

creekster
05-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Perfromance has a sale on Micehlin Carbon Red (closeout of 05 model) this weekend for $19. A pretty good deal. Joe Bob says check it out.

bluegoose
05-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Perfromance has a sale on Micehlin Carbon Red (closeout of 05 model) this weekend for $19. A pretty good deal. Joe Bob says check it out.

Those are the same tires that I am currently using, well at least on my front tire. Its a very nice tire. I really like the feel of it. A smooth ride which corners well. As stated earlier, its life expectancy is still a little suspect.

The only problem is the same as with my bike - the ones on sale are Ute red.

And who's this Joe Bob guy that keeps recommending stuff? Any relation to Billy Bob?

creekster
05-06-2006, 01:16 AM
Those are the same tires that I am currently using, well at least on my front tire. Its a very nice tire. I really like the feel of it. A smooth ride which corners well. As stated earlier, its life expectancy is still a little suspect.

And so they are. I forgot the beginning of the htread by the time it got to the end. Further evidence that I am getting old.

Hey you kids . . . you know the rest.

Also, Joe Bob Briggs was a movie reviewr sort of popular in the 80s. He reviewed bad B drive-in movies. He ended every review, no matter how bad, witht he line "Joe Bob says Check it out." For some reason, that stuck with me.

creekster
05-29-2006, 08:39 PM
So what tires did you end up with? Can we get a review?