PDA

View Full Version : Patch a tire?

mtnbiker310
04-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Is there a reasonable way to patch a mountain bike tire? I seem to have put a 1" slit into a sidewall of a nearly-new tire. The slit is right down the threads of the casing. Factory won't warrantee. Seems like a tube patch would be too flexible and bulge out the side. Would a patch for a car tire work? Would it be too large and/or heavy? Any other ideas?

bluegoose
04-28-2006, 04:51 PM
I've never had luck with tire patches of any kind, road or mountain. In a pinch out on the trails, I've used old Gu wrappers placed on the inside of the tire for a temporary fix in the case of a major blow-out. I would think that a tube patch would be too flimsy for a tire patch.

Thats a tough one. Let me know if you come up with anything.

Quisqueyano
04-28-2006, 05:19 PM
On the trail, emergency fixes are one thing.
You'll never be able to trust a patched tire very much. Save yourself the grief and replace it.

creekster
04-28-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm with Q. A tire patch should only be to get you home. Then get a new tire. Too much depends on your tires to trust a patch.

MikeWaters
04-28-2006, 06:51 PM
get a new tire. feel free to grieve for a while. then get riding again.

mtnbiker310
04-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Rats. This happened last fall, and I did throw a new tire on at that time; was just wondering if there was a magic patch available. I liked how the tire hooked up, but was disappointed that the sidewall was so thin and cut so easily. Thanks for the replies.

bluegoose
04-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Glad to see a new "face" around here, mtnbiker. Are you a Utahn or otherwise?

Hope that you stick around for awhile, even after the tire situation gets resolved.

mtnbiker310
04-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks. I grew up in Idaho, but have been in Utah for 25 years, since going to BYU. I've lurked a while, and have lurked on cougarboard since it was byuboard or whatever it was; just didn't want to get sucked into the vortex if I ever started posting (i.e. once you start, it's tough to stop). ;-)
I really enjoy mountain biking, and also have a road bike; have ridden the SL Century for about 8 years now. Did ULCER and MS150 a couple times. I mostly just get out for lunchtime rides on the singletrack up Provo canyon.

SteelBlue
04-28-2006, 09:07 PM
I've punctured my share of mountain bike tires. I've found that having a few band-aids in your bag is just as good as any tire patch. I cut both ends off of one band-aid, lay one directly over the hole and then the second "patch" at an angle over the first. On the whole, these last much longer than store bought patches. My theory is that the band-aids are a little heavier on the adhesive.

creekster
04-28-2006, 09:42 PM
I've punctured my share of mountain bike tires. I've found that having a few band-aids in your bag is just as good as any tire patch. I cut both ends off of one band-aid, lay one directly over the hole and then the second "patch" at an angle over the first. On the whole, these last much longer than store bought patches. My theory is that the band-aids are a little heavier on the adhesive.
Are you talking about a tire or a tube?