PDA

View Full Version : First honey

MikeWaters
06-09-2008, 03:50 AM
My medium super was completely filled with capped honey. This made me antsy because it means the bees have no more room to build and increase supplies, and probably increases the chance that they will split with a swarm.

So, because I temporarily don't have another super to add, I decided I would need to harvest. The extractor I was given appears to have a broken gear, plus it's sort of intimidating to try and use it if you have never been shown before how to use it.

So I decided to harvest cut comb, that is the honey and the wax together. This is how honey was often eaten back in the day. But today, most of you have probably never had comb honey. It's like eating honey + gum. The gun is the wax. It's delicious. One reason you don't see honey like this usually is because it takes bees 9 pounds of honey to produce 1 pound of wax. So destroying/removing the wax comb is very inefficient. But it certainly is the way honey has been eaten for millenia. The wax can be saved and made into candles and other products.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/mikewaters1992/IMG_0870-1.jpg
Above are two medium frames of capped honey. The white stuff is wax.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/mikewaters1992/IMG_0871.jpg
Here I am starting to cut the wax and honey. I am cutting there because there is a wire embedded in the wax, to prevent the comb from being destroyed while extracting. But here, with cut comb, it is in the way, and making me less efficient in terms of the amount of cuts I have to do.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/mikewaters1992/IMG_0872.jpg
Picking up a piece of the comb I cut.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/mikewaters1992/IMG_0873.jpg
Pieces of comb in the jar. 1 gallon jar.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/mikewaters1992/IMG_0874.jpg
More shots of the comb in the jar. The cells that have been cut through are oozing honey into the bottom of the jar.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/mikewaters1992/IMG_0875.jpg
Honey + bits of wax + santoku. We got a cup of honey just from the wax paper.

Archaea
06-09-2008, 03:52 AM
Looks delicious.

Jeff Lebowski
06-09-2008, 03:59 AM
My uncle spent his entire career producing honey. Now his sons and grandsons have taken over the business. Hence, we were always swamped with honey. I love to eat it fresh with the bits of wax. Good stuff.

SteelBlue
06-09-2008, 04:36 AM
So now when you want honey you just pull out one of those rectangles and chow down? Or is there another step in the process?

MikeWaters
06-09-2008, 04:46 AM
So now when you want honey you just pull out one of those rectangles and chow down? Or is there another step in the process?

If you want to eat honey straight, yes, you can just pull out honeycomb and eat it, and spit out the wax. If you need just plain honey, you can squeeze the honeycomb in a simple press to extract the honey.

I used two frames. I have eight frames left. I will extract the honey from those from the comb, so that the bees can use the comb again and give me a refill.

myboynoah
06-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Excellent report Mike.

Looks sticky.

MikeWaters
06-09-2008, 03:57 PM
My uncle spent his entire career producing honey. Now his sons and grandsons have taken over the business. Hence, we were always swamped with honey. I love to eat it fresh with the bits of wax. Good stuff.

Are they poor as dirt? Many bee operations have gone belly-up.

Jeff Lebowski
06-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Are they poor as dirt? Many bee operations have gone belly-up.

They never made much money at it. I haven't talked to them for a while. I wonder how they are doing.

cougjunkie
06-09-2008, 05:23 PM
My inlaws gave us a bucket of honey for Christmas and our food storage. It weighs about 20 pounds. My daughter pulled it off the pantry shelf and it fell on her foot last week. Her foot was very swollen and she could not walk. We took her to the doctor it was just a bad contusion. That is my only experience with honey.

Burning Bright
08-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Thi smay be one of the stupidest questions ever, but here goes:

Is honey bee poop?

il Padrino Ute
08-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Dang, that looks scrumptious. I love fresh honey.

All-American
08-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Thi smay be one of the stupidest questions ever, but here goes:

Is honey bee poop?

From Wikipedia:

Honey is laid down by bees as a food source. In cold weather or when food sources are scarce, bees use their stored honey as their source of energy. . . . The worker bees raise larvae and collect the nectar that will become honey in the hive. They go out, collect the sugar-rich flower nectar, release Nasonov pheromones and return to the hive. These pheromones enable other bees to find their way to the site by smell. Honeybees also release Nasonov pheromones at the entrance to the hive, which enables returning bees to return to the proper hive. In the hive the bees use their "honey stomachs" to ingest and regurgitate the nectar a number of times until it is partially digested. The bees work together as a group with the regurgitation and digestion until the product reaches a desired quality. It is then stored in the honeycomb. Nectar is high in both water content and natural yeasts which, unchecked, would cause the sugars in the nectar to ferment. After the final regurgitation, the honeycomb is left unsealed. Bees inside the hive fan their wings, creating a strong draft across the honeycomb which enhances evaporation of much of the water from the nectar. The reduction in water content, which raises the sugar concentration, prevents fermentation. Ripe honey, as removed from the hive by the beekeeper, has a long shelf life and will not ferment.

So no, not bee poop. Bee vomit.

RC Vikings
08-03-2008, 06:49 PM
My first honey was a girl from Orem named Corine.

creekster
08-03-2008, 10:30 PM
WHen I was a kid my grandma used to give me honeycomb to chew on. It was delciious and Mike's description is spot on. I am not sure where she got it from, as we did nto have hives, but I didn't worry about that too much.

TripletDaddy
08-03-2008, 11:10 PM
WHen I was a kid my grandma used to give me honeycomb to chew on. It was delciious and Mike's description is spot on. I am not sure where she got it from, as we did nto have hives, but I didn't worry about that too much.

I know you can usually buy honey in the comb at Hispanic markets. I have seen it there before.

It is pretty tasty stuff.

MikeWaters
03-09-2009, 12:30 AM
I opened the hive for the first time since last fall. The bees are doing well. I noticed vigorous activity coming in and out of the entrance. Workers coming in with pollen on their legs is usually an indication that hungry brood are being fed.

The structure of my hive is like this

medium super
medium super
shallow super
deep super

(deep is on bottom).

No bees in the top super, but bees just below that. Honey AND larvae (brood), in the next medium super down. All of that is a good sign.

I'm prepared to finally get a decent amount of honey, in this my third season with the hive. And just in time before the world collapses.

MikeWaters
03-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Bee sting near my left armpit did a number to me. Left arm swelled to a fairly impressive size. I am 60 hours out now, and finally starting to get back to normal.

I hate to think what would have happened if I had been stung multiple times.

RedHeadGal
03-23-2009, 06:48 PM
had you not been stung before? was that an unusual reaction?

MikeWaters
03-23-2009, 06:51 PM
had you not been stung before? was that an unusual reaction?

1. have been stung before
2. not an unusual reaction

RedHeadGal
03-23-2009, 06:56 PM
1. have been stung before
2. not an unusual reaction

in that case, I also hate to think what WILL happen when it's multiple stings. Do you have some kind of antihistamine at the ready?

MikeWaters
03-23-2009, 07:18 PM
in that case, I also hate to think what WILL happen when it's multiple stings. Do you have some kind of antihistamine at the ready?

No, just a medical attorney document and a will.

Archaea
03-23-2009, 07:59 PM
No, just a medical attorney document and a will.

Have you increased your life insurance?

MikeWaters
03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
I checked on the hive yesterday. It is doing well. Very vigorous. I didn't see any hive beetle.

Good honey stores, so I don't think I will need to feed them.

They have moved up into the 4th super, so that means the population is expanding. I saw a lot of capped brood in the 3rd super, so I am well on my way towards a large population. Worried about swarming now, but realistically I'm not going to try and prevent it. Too much work and checking. Now if my dad comes up and convinces me that I need to do a split and that the split needs to become his property, well he can probably convince me of it.

Of course, another problem will be if the queen starts laying eggs in the 4th super. That would be bad. I would merely end up with the world's largest beehive, and no actual honey to harvest. I've been burned by the queen excluder before and I don't feel like using it.

I do have a 5th super that does not have drawn out comb, that is on the ready.

Oh yeah, need to get those epi-pens.

MikeWaters
04-09-2009, 12:33 AM
I was talking to my father yesterday, and he asked me whether there were any bees in the first super (i.e. brood box). What he meant was this--I have four supers. Each super is merely a box with frames inside. I have 4 boxes that are stacked up, with a bottom and a lid. That is the beehive.

I didn't know the answer. The question is relevant because bees have a tendency to migrate up into a hive, going from the bottom to the top. In pursuit of the honey they have stored, they start elevating the area where they make babies, and you may end up with an empty box at the bottom, which is an inefficient way to house your bees.

The reason I didn't know the answer is because it has been a long time since I actually took all the boxes apart and looked at the bottom super. So I decided to do that. Put on the veil, started up the smoker, wearing gloves. For some strange reason a cloud of bees encircled the hive. There were a lot of agitated bees. I smoked the heck out of them. I had never seen them do that. They weren't super aggressive, they weren't trying to attack me, they were just agitated.

Killed a couple of hive beetles taking off the top. Then started pulling off the supers one by one. When you don't take your hive apart, you will get "bridge comb" between supers. That is, the bees will make comb between the boxes and when you pull them apart, you end up breaking that bridge comb. So I saw rather large larvae that were exposed as I pulled boxes off. It's ok, there are plenty more from where they came from, and those at the bottom of frames are usually worthless drones.

End of the story is that yes, there were plenty of bees in the bottom super, and no, I didn't get stung, and when I put it altogether the cloud of bees went into the hive and disappeared like magic, like I had blown a whistle and they obeyed on command. There are starting to be a good number of bees in the top super, so that is where they will (hopefully) store the honey that I will harvest. We shall see.

Archaea
04-09-2009, 12:51 AM
What controls the sweetness and quality of the honey?

The strain of bees, climate, nesting material, or the type of flowers polinated? Or all of the above?

MikeWaters
04-09-2009, 12:59 AM
What controls the sweetness and quality of the honey?

The strain of bees, climate, nesting material, or the type of flowers polinated? Or all of the above?

The nectar source.

Clover honey is considered to be the standard, and what people are used to. But there are many other sources of nectar, each leading to a different kind of honey, both in flavor, density, and appearance.

Some honeys are considered by some to be unpalatable, and are used for cooking only. As an example, my father doesn't like youpon honey. I like it ok. Some honeys that you may have heard about are tupelo and orange blossom.

I don't know what my honey will be. Probably just a generic "wildflower" honey.

One of the important nectar sources in the south during the later months is the Chinese Tallow tree, which is basically an invader weed tree that some people have in their yards. A lot of honey is produced from these trees, but I understand the sugar content is low, so you have to be careful with this kind of honey going bad.

MikeWaters
04-23-2009, 09:43 PM
There have been several requests for an update on the bees. Ok, I lie, there have been no requests. Yet, I continue on. Kind of the mantra of this site.

The bees continue to grow in numbers. They have started putting honey into the 4th super and the frames inside that super have about 60% coverage. I would say that optimistically the super is now 10% full of honey. But that will change rapidly. So I have to be ready to remove those frames and harvest.

Thankfully I didn't see any small hive beetle. Which is not surprising, given that the hive is very strong right now. The entrance of the hive is incredibly busy. Imagine the deck of an aircraft carrier with hundreds of bees flying in and out every few moments. This contrasts greatly with previous years.

I noticed one bee land at the entrance, and it was immediately attacked by two "guard" bees. It escaped and flew away. It was probably a "robber" from another hive. Bees will rob honey from other hives. The strong get stronger, and the weak perish. If your hive successfully robs a weak or dead hive, it can very rapidly increase its honey stores. I wonder if my hive is out there "robbing." I will discourage it, because it doesn't fit with my ethos. I doubt they will listen.

I guess, right now, my hive weighs over 150lb, and perhaps closer to 200lb. That's a lot of honey, wax, pollen, and biomass.

MikeWaters
05-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I should check my hive. When the nectar comes in heavy, things can get done explosively. We've had a lot of rainy cool weather around here, and that means less foraging for the bees. So, things may heat up quite quickly and I need to make sure my bees don't run out of room.

MikeWaters
05-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Cracked the hive open. Killed a few hive beetles. There were more than last time.

Not much change since the last time I cracked it open. That will change, I think, if we can get some sunny weather.

MikeWaters
05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Opened up the hive again last weekend. And no progress!

It's been rainy and cool and overcast for a while around here, which is bad for honey production. We need hot, dry days with lots of sun to get the nectar flowing.

I hope my young bees will be suckling at the nectar-teat of many flowers this week. Otherwise, it may be that this season was a whiff.

MikeWaters
06-07-2009, 04:56 AM
Some progress. The super is still not full, which is disappointing. But it is filling up. It's not been a good year for honey.

I'm thinking about re-queening my hive. That is where you buy a new a queen, find the old queen and smush her, and then put your new queen in the hive (there is a way of doing this so that she is accepted and not killed).

The thing is my queen is 3 seasons old now (if she hasn't been superceded). And for serious honey-producers, that is an old queen. They might requeen every month or two.

On the other hand, I do have a hive that is relatively docile (important not to get stung) and is strong, without any use of pesticides. So the genes are pretty good. I might buy a queen and have it all go to hell, although that is unlikely.

I'll talk to my dad about it. Because I would have him do the requeening. There is no way I'll be able to find the queen looking at potentially 80 frame-surfaces.

In the meantime, however, LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

danimal
06-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Some progress. The super is still not full, which is disappointing. But it is filling up. It's not been a good year for honey.

I'm thinking about re-queening my hive. That is where you buy a new a queen, find the old queen and smush her, and then put your new queen in the hive (there is a way of doing this so that she is accepted and not killed).

The thing is my queen is 3 seasons old now (if she hasn't been superceded). And for serious honey-producers, that is an old queen. They might requeen every month or two.

On the other hand, I do have a hive that is relatively docile (important not to get stung) and is strong, without any use of pesticides. So the genes are pretty good. I might buy a queen and have it all go to hell, although that is unlikely.

I'll talk to my dad about it. Because I would have him do the requeening. There is no way I'll be able to find the queen looking at potentially 80 frame-surfaces.

In the meantime, however, LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

How much honey have you been able to get out of it this year? We've been trying to buy local honey more often.

MikeWaters
06-08-2009, 01:29 AM
How much honey have you been able to get out of it this year? We've been trying to buy local honey more often.

If you look at the beginning of this thread, you will see that I harvested two frames and ended up with about a gallon of honey + wax.

Basically I am waiting for 10 of those frames to be full before I harvest. I might have 3 or 4 frames right now, all total.

So if 2 frames = 1 gallon. Then, fingers cross, I will end up with 3 gallons at least.

Levin
06-08-2009, 01:54 AM
What do you do with three gallons of honey? Make three acres of baklava?

MikeWaters
06-08-2009, 03:42 AM
When you use honey w/ baking, it goes quick.

I plan to give some if it away as gifts, if I ever get any.

danimal
06-08-2009, 03:50 AM
If you look at the beginning of this thread, you will see that I harvested two frames and ended up with about a gallon of honey + wax.

Basically I am waiting for 10 of those frames to be full before I harvest. I might have 3 or 4 frames right now, all total.

So if 2 frames = 1 gallon. Then, fingers cross, I will end up with 3 gallons at least.

That's a pretty good amount. We go through honey like there's no tomorrow. It's great for baking and smoothies too.

MikeWaters
06-08-2009, 04:04 AM
it's not possible to own too much honey. It will go quick.

RedHeadGal
06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
When you use honey w/ baking, it goes quick.

I plan to give some if it away as gifts, if I ever get any.

I got a gallon container of honey as a wedding gift. I re-gifted it to my mother.

MikeWaters
06-08-2009, 10:33 PM
1 gal is 12lb. 4.50 per lb is $54.

Not a bad gift.

RedHeadGal
06-09-2009, 07:50 PM
I guess it must not have been a gallon, since I think it was more in the 5-10 pound range. I'm sure most people have a mental list of bizarre wedding gifts they received. This is example number one for me.

RedHeadGal
06-15-2009, 03:41 PM
saw local honey for sale at the farmers' market last weekend. 12 lb jar for $33. So I guess you'll get better prices for your honey in TX.

MikeWaters
06-17-2009, 11:30 PM
saw local honey for sale at the farmers' market last weekend. 12 lb jar for $33. So I guess you'll get better prices for your honey in TX.

The price I quoted is an average RETAIL price in the USA. A farmer's market would usually be cheaper than retail, I would think.

RedHeadGal
06-18-2009, 12:10 AM
The price I quoted is an average RETAIL price in the USA. A farmer's market would usually be cheaper than retail, I would think.

then I wish you would explain that to the vendors--I pay a premium for almost everything there.

MikeWaters
06-18-2009, 12:13 AM
also, you are paying a bulk discount when you pay for multiple pounds.

MikeWaters
06-23-2009, 09:03 PM
I will be extracting 7 frames of honey. I've never extracted before, so it should be fun. I'm figuring on over 2 gallons of honey. Mmmmmmm.

marsupial
06-24-2009, 08:28 PM
I got a gallon container of honey as a wedding gift. I re-gifted it to my mother.

That's an awesome gift. Much better than the crystal candy dishes we received. Honey is something I would use.

MikeWaters
07-02-2009, 03:00 AM
Harvested (extracted) about 2 gallons tonight.

When you factor in materials and time, this honey is probably as expensive as caviar, per ounce.

There is an economy of scale when it comes to honey production. And most of the costs are up-front.

Hopefully the future will bring more honey at less effort. Regardless, I am proud of myself. I feel "official".

MikeWaters
07-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Including the weight of the 5gal plastic bucket and lid, my honey came out to 24.5lb.

Would have been nice to fill the entire bucket. Then I would feel honey-rich.

MikeWaters
07-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Last night I moved my hive from my home to a friend's home about 25 miles away. It wasn't exactly simple or easy, but I won't bore you with the details.

I did feel a little bit of emotion doing so, because perhaps in some ways, it represented the first real tangible step in moving away from our old lives to a new one.

MikeWaters
09-14-2009, 04:54 AM
I opened the hive yesterday, and to my dismay there were hundreds of ants. The bees were aggressive and buzzing me, and since I had forgotten to bring my smoker, I decided to wait until I had it before doing any more work.

I came back today to the hive with the smoker. I smoked the hell out of them (no pun intended). I took the hive apart, and brought it completely off the stand. I then put the legs of the hive stand into plastic mini-trash cans. I placed the hive sections back on the stand. Then put water and soap in the buckets.

While taking everything apart, I noticed that under the hive was an actual ant colony living on the wood. Ant pupae. I scraped most of them off. The water and soap is design to prevent ants from accessing the hive from the ground.

I noticed many hive beetles as well, but nothing out of control. Overall, given the ants, the hive looks pretty strong.

I should add that I was stung several times. Probably more times than I had previously been stung in 2.5 years total combined. Well, at least I am not allergic. A bee sting is initially a fairly intense sensation. Imagine someone sticking a needle into you and injecting bleach. At least for me, the pain goes away quickly. Now I'm just left with warmth and itching.

I'm not very much liking my hive being so far from me. Makes it harder to check up on, and increases the odds that something bad will happen to it. If ants were to get out of control, for example, the bees could pack up and leave. And that would be a disaster for me.

RedHeadGal
09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
did you say why you moved the hive? I don't remeber, and I don't see it in the previous entries here.

no honey yesterday? I made honey lime chicken enchiladas for dinner yesterday, so I could have used some of your honey!

MikeWaters
09-15-2009, 12:38 AM
did you say why you moved the hive? I don't remeber, and I don't see it in the previous entries here.

no honey yesterday? I made honey lime chicken enchiladas for dinner yesterday, so I could have used some of your honey!

I moved the hive because it was formerly next to my air con unit, and we needed the unit serviced. In general, when you move a hive, it is best to move it a far distance. Otherwise the bees will get confused and return to the former location of the hive. So if I had moved it into my backyard, I would have bees returning to the former location. But since I moved it many miles away, the bees have to completely reorient and they return to the hive as they should.

I probably won't be harvesting honey in the fall. They need to store enough honey to survive the winter. They eat the honey to generate enough warmth in their cluster to survive, and then get ramped up in population before the spring nectar flow. If you are not careful, your bees will starve to death.

MikeWaters
09-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Took a look at the hive yesterday. Lots of bees coming in and out. Looks like an airport. No signs of ants from the outside since I made the modifications on the legs of the stand.

This is probably the fall nectar flow, so bees are now storing the honey that will support them over the winter and allow them to survive until the next spring. I probably will not harvest any.

MikeWaters
04-27-2010, 03:35 AM
Update. I now have three beehives. The original one that is at a friend's home. And two new ones that were originally my father's. One of the two is very strong, the other is weak. Both of these are at my home.

Today I went and checked on the hive at my friend's home. I hadn't cracked this open since last fall. It was full to the brim of honey. I was surprised. So I put on another super. I'm going to need to harvest this honey sometime soon.

I think it's going to be a very good year down here for honey. The bees are working like mad. It's a beautiful sight to see, the bees darting through the shafts of light through the trees. Coming and going.

This one at my friend's house is more aggressive than my other two. They got me good tonight. Stung me three times through my clothes. Once in the right pec, once in the right inner thigh, and one on the right buttock. They made their presence known. I had messed with them twice today. First time no problem, second time, they were upset.

I may eventually need to requeen this hive. Though I doubt I will ever be able to find the queen.

MikeWaters
04-27-2010, 08:45 PM
One of the beehives at my home. This was my father's. I picked it up recently. It is a strong hive. I need to open it up and see what's going on inside.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/mikewaters1992/beehive.jpg

Zulu451
04-28-2010, 07:30 PM
I enjoy reading about your beekeeping hobby. You will have to send me some honey to north carolina!

MikeWaters
04-28-2010, 08:09 PM
No, you will have to come visit and pick some up in person.

MikeWaters
05-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Record haul of honey for me this year. About 100lb so far. And I have the stings to prove it. This evening I got one on the knee, a few on the biceps, and one on the back. And under my four layers of clothing, I almost died of heat exhaustion. My "main" shirt, when I took it off, was literally wring-able.

Cougarguard 2.0 - honey production. :)

MikeWaters
05-11-2010, 03:28 AM
I've also found out that there are some real pricks among beekeepers. So I fit right in. :)

If my experience in getting in a recent flamewar on a beekeeping board is any indication...

MikeWaters
05-11-2011, 01:03 AM
tHJdH-SP0IA

Beekeeper in Arkansas got flooded out. This was always my fear with my beehive I kept in back next to the creek. It was probably 6 or 7 feet above the normal level of the creek. In the past year or so I never saw the creek get too close to the hive, but it was causing me ulcers. So I finally moved the hive higher. And now I don't worry about that. I worry about other things.

Tough to imagine seeing all my hives spilled on the side of a road. Esp. if it was my living. Raising bees is a tough way to pay the bills.

MikeWaters
06-17-2011, 03:00 PM
I've produced about 160lb of honey so far this year. Best honey crop ever for me. This year, the hobby has taken up fare more time than any other year. Buying and putting together woodware, splitting, requeening, extracting.

I think this is about as big as I want to be. Maybe too big actually. May need to downsize.

MikeWaters
06-17-2011, 03:01 PM
One of the beehives at my home. This was my father's. I picked it up recently. It is a strong hive. I need to open it up and see what's going on inside.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/mikewaters1992/beehive.jpg

This hive was really struggling this year after I committed a major mistake. Leaving the queen excluder on over the winter (doesn't allow the cluster to move up into the honey). But it has since been requeened and is thriving.

ute4ever
08-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Just curious to hear what 30 straight days of 100+ degree weather does to bee colonies?

MikeWaters
08-04-2011, 12:32 AM
This hive was really struggling this year after I committed a major mistake. Leaving the queen excluder on over the winter (doesn't allow the cluster to move up into the honey). But it has since been requeened and is thriving.

this hive is now doing great. Requeened, moved up the hill. Fully recovered. I have harvested about 150lb of honey so far this year.

MikeWaters
08-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Just curious to hear what 30 straight days of 100+ degree weather does to bee colonies?

Bees do need to maintain the temperatures of their hives. If they overheat, the comb can melt and that is a disaster. So there are bees that actually use their wings and help ventilate the hive to regulate the temperature.

Of course, bees need water, so they have to have a water source. There are still local creeks and swimming pools with water, in the city, so they are fine in that regard.

Summers are tough in general for bees, it is a season of dearth. There is a spring and a fall flow of nectar. So generally speaking not much honey is made in the summer. I suspect this summer is particularly tough. However looking at my hives in my backyard, the populations look to be high and they appear to be doing fine.

MikeWaters
03-23-2012, 11:11 PM
One of my very small hives at my friend's house died at the end of last fall, when its feeder led to robbing (and killing). The other small hive at his house survived.

Four hives at my house. That are doing well. I'm expecting a banner year in terms of honey production. Some good rains in the spring. Now I need some good sunny weather. Every year I have been doubling my honey production, but I don't think I will get to 300lb, LOL. I kinda hope not.

Archaea
03-26-2012, 08:06 PM
One of my very small hives at my friend's house died at the end of last fall, when its feeder led to robbing (and killing). The other small hive at his house survived.

Four hives at my house. That are doing well. I'm expecting a banner year in terms of honey production. Some good rains in the spring. Now I need some good sunny weather. Every year I have been doubling my honey production, but I don't think I will get to 300lb, LOL. I kinda hope not.

I am certain you can get somebody to take it off your hands.

MikeWaters
04-13-2012, 10:52 PM
new extractor going into effect this weekend. YESSHHHH....

MikeWaters
03-08-2013, 08:10 PM
new extractor worked well.

Down year for honey last year. Got a bit less than the year before despite more hives.

But I'm hopeful this will be a better year. I am at 5 hives, 4 of which should produce honey. The 5th I am not sure about, it is weak. I do plan to do at least one split, which will take me to 6 hives.

Ain't a cheap hobby...

MikeWaters
03-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Did the split last week. Essentially I take one hive and split it up into two hives. The queen remains in one hive. And in the queenless hive, they raise a new queen.

In this case, I didn't know which hive had the queen. But I made sure that both hives had eggs. Any egg has the potential to become a queen. This for example ensures that if a queen were to suddenly die, that the colony would not be doomed. The larva is fed royal jelly and this makes it develop into a queen. She pupates and the rest, and then flies into the sky, mates, comes back and lays eggs.

Of course the issue in that case is hoping you get some decent genetics from that drone she mated with in the sky. This is why that queen might need to be replaced with a commercially bought queen of known temperament and quality.