PDA

View Full Version : Tried to do a little speed work today

MikeWaters
04-27-2006, 04:31 AM
With a tailwind....top speed 32mph. 2nd sprint: 30mph. 3rd sprint: 29mph.

This is nothing to write home about. Yikes.

It can only get better. I don't know how those guys get up to 40mph. OTOH, if I were a professional, since someone crummy like me can get up to 34mph without much training, shouldn't be too difficult to get to 38mph. And then if you're drafting, you could be at 40mph. You can probably pull that for a brief stretch.

Quisqueyano
04-27-2006, 04:07 PM
I agree completely.

MikeWaters
04-27-2006, 04:11 PM
I agree completely.

On the part that I suck, or that pros can go 40, or both?

:)

bluegoose
04-27-2006, 04:14 PM
32 mph is not bad for a sprint. I suppose it depends on how stiff the tail wind was.

I did the same last week, going all out for 20-30 secs, and hit 34 once, then dropped down to 30 and 29 respectively. I think my first was on a slight downgrade. It blows me away to think Zabriskie averaged 35mph for the entire TT last year. It just goes to show you really how much stronger those guys are than the average rec rider.

What gearing ratios do the Pros use, say on a flat stage made for sprinters? I think my biggest gear is 52/11, and I don't know if it is possible to hit 40mph with that set-up. They must be using something a bit bigger in front, as they would be spinning like mad on what I've got.

Quisqueyano
04-27-2006, 04:43 PM
On the part that I suck, or that pros can go 40, or both?

:)

On the fact that hard work will accomplish great results.
You may still suck. But i don't know anything about that. :)

Quisqueyano
04-27-2006, 04:46 PM
I am anything but a gear geek. But a frined of mine just went through the buying process. When he was deciding on components (went with Campy Record) he was told that if his front ring had a few more teeth it was worth 3 miles an hour.

creekster
04-27-2006, 05:36 PM
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

This is a very useful gear calculator. In fact, this guy's whole site, odd though the interface may be, is full of internesting information.

creekster
04-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Mike and Q, you guys are doing pretty well. I won't tell you where i am currently at in my effort to get back in shape. But even when in better shape, I was never much af a speed guy. IN fact, I have always had this basic dilemma: I love cycling buy my body is built more for bowling. Indeed, I might have had a lucrative career as a bowling pin, if I had started early enough. In any event, keep riding, I will continue to serve my highest calling, which is making guys like you feel superior out on the road.

Quisqueyano
04-27-2006, 05:56 PM
I always feel superior when I blow past some poor sap. Until I go homw and tell my wife how fast I am and she reminds me that the other guy didn't know we were racing.

MikeWaters
04-27-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm overweight right now. As of last week I was 190. Last time I was below 180 was about 3 years ago at the end of a cycling season.

So I started my dad's diet. One fried egg, two pieces of toast, and some fruit for breakfast. Sensible lunch, sensible dinner.

I believe in less than a week I've lost 2-3 lb. I've rediscovered an interesting sensation: "hunger".

If I can get to 175, I'll be something fierce, lean, and mean.

bluegoose
04-27-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm overweight right now. As of last week I was 190. Last time I was below 180 was about 3 years ago at the end of a cycling season.

So I started my dad's diet. One fried egg, two pieces of toast, and some fruit for breakfast. Sensible lunch, sensible dinner.

I believe in less than a week I've lost 2-3 lb. I've rediscovered an interesting sensation: "hunger".

If I can get to 175, I'll be something fierce, lean, and mean.

Not only would I discover "Hunger", but my co-workers would discover the word "Grumpy".

I remember about 4 or 5 years ago, a co-worker of mine came to work just as grumpy as could be for several days straight. Really, she was just pissed off at the world. Upon further inquiry, it turned out she had just started the Body 4 Life diet, which effectively eliminated everything from her diet that she enjoyed.

Ahhhhh, it all makes sense now. I would feel the same way if I were eating a hamburger patty for breakfast instead of a nice bowl of Marshmellow Mateys.