PDA

View Full Version : Race to replace

creekster
04-23-2006, 06:16 AM
How cool would it be to race at Indy 500 on your bike? Quesyqiano (I know its spelled wrong) shuold do this and so shoue Steel blue and Bluegoose and any others that are so inclined. I would go, except then no one would be here to keep those dang kids off my grass.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060422/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_tour_de_lance

BTW, I think this may be the first post (other than Mike's post saying that he lost a day's worth of posts, inlcuding a few of mine).

Archaea
04-23-2006, 02:05 PM
as it will be easy for him to qualify.

Quisqueyano
04-24-2006, 02:45 PM
as it will be easy for him to qualify.

Oh. I get it. Make fun of the new guy. That's alright. i can take it. Not much that a bunch of slow, chubby old men can say that would hurt my feelings.

creekster
04-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Well, the post where I really made fun of you was deleted in the transfer to the new board. This post was just a very mild joke. The idea that this would be a tremnedous thing to do is heartfelt. In general, however, being unfazed by cracks from a fat old guy is a good attitude.

To sum up the deleted post, btw, I pointed out that I sampled four stages from the Tdf from last year and the ONLY one that exceeded 30 mph was Zabriskie's winning time trial, which was at 33 mph (almost 34), and which was the fastest in TdF history. The other three stages included two flat stages at the beginning of the race (e.g. fresh peloton working en masse and fresh sprinters teams leading out) and the first mountainous stage and none of these exceeded 30 mph.

But like you say, I am a fat old guy, and most of this is jealousy becasue I could never cruise at 30 mph even when I was neither fat nor old.

Quisqueyano
04-24-2006, 06:17 PM
That's interesting that the best use of your weekend was to try and prove some stranger wrong. If it makes you feel better, on my Saturday ride I topped out at 27 MPH. Of course there was a bit of a head wind. I held it for 3 miles befoe I had to slow down to turn onto my street.
If you would ever like to discuss this more in person I am easy to find. I am the guy that you always hear yelling "on your left".

MikeWaters
04-24-2006, 06:23 PM
That's interesting that the best use of your weekend was to try and prove some stranger wrong. If it makes you feel better, on my Saturday ride I topped out at 27 MPH. Of course there was a bit of a head wind. I held it for 3 miles befoe I had to slow down to turn onto my street.
If you would ever like to discuss this more in person I am easy to find. I am the guy that you always hear yelling "on your left".

how are you measuring your speed? You know you have to calibrate those things, at least to the actual circumference of your wheel.

You of course know that there is a huge ginormous difference between 24mph and 27mph in terms of effort and strength. That's the reason for the skepticism. Someone who averages 30mph on solo rides, and isn't a Cat2 or a Cat1 (I assume you know what I am referring to) is probably mistaken, or a liar, or a freak of nature.

creekster
04-24-2006, 06:48 PM

Touchy, touchy. I said I was old and fat, not stupid. You think it took me all weekend to figure this out? It took me longer to type the post (although as you can tell I am a horrible typist) then it did to get the information I posted.

Here's the deal: You drop in on us and claim to go indefinitely at 30 mph. You are talking to a bunch of guys that ride bikes a lot so we have a sense of what this means and, yes, we are rather skeptical. You are either very impressive or telling a tale. Then you change indeifnitely to 10 minutes, now you are topping out at 27 mph. 27 is hugely different from 30, as any of us know.

Now try not to get twisted knickers. I am glad you're here, and I am glad that you're willing to keep showing up. You appear able to hang with Arch and BlueGoose, with Steelblue not far behind, when it comes to riding, so I am sure you will have a lot to add. But surely you can understand how dropping out of the sky and making the claim you did casued you to pull a little closer scrutiny than you otherwise might have.

Btw, You'll need to do more than tell me that you are the guy saying 'on your left' if you want me to recognize you; I hear that all the time. Maybe you could get a little pruple bell or something?

Quisqueyano
04-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Touchy, touchy. I said I was old and fat, not stupid. You think it took me all weekend to figure this out? It took me longer to type the post (although as you can tell I am a horrible typist) then it did to get the information I posted.

Here's the deal: You drop in on us and claim to go indefinitely at 30 mph. You are talking to a bunch of guys that ride bikes a lot so we have a sense of what this means and, yes, we are rather skeptical. You are either very impressive or telling a tale. Then you change indeifnitely to 10 minutes, now you are topping out at 27 mph. 27 is hugely different from 30, as any of us know.

Now try not to get twisted knickers. I am glad you're here, and I am glad that you're willing to keep showing up. You appear able to hang with Arch and BlueGoose, with Steelblue not far behind, when it comes to riding, so I am sure you will have a lot to add. But surely you can understand how dropping out of the sky and making the claim you did casued you to pull a little closer scrutiny than you otherwise might have.

Btw, You'll need to do more than tell me that you are the guy saying 'on your left' if you want me to recognize you; I hear that all the time. Maybe you could get a little pruple bell or something?

I hoped it was clear that I was being very tongue in cheek in my reply to you. I think I am being misinterpreted. I first made the stement about why enjoy road riding over mountain biking which I also love. Because on the road bike I can go 35 MPH. Be it on a hill or a short sprint, is irrelevant. I can't get the mtb to go that fast under the same conditions. That is a fair and honest statement. And I am sure that most people that ride regularly can relate. I was quick to retract the "indefinitely" word. I know how hard it is to reach 30 MPH and stay there for any given period of time. Conditions have to be right: wind, road surface etc. But I do regularly hit it and stay there. I also run out of road and am forced to slow down pretty quickly. So to be honest, I don't know exactly how long I could hold it (which is the definition of indefiitely). I have never had the opportunity to find out. So take it for what it's worth. Beleive me if you wish. Call me a liar if that makes you feel better. It means nothing to me.

MikeWaters
04-24-2006, 07:16 PM
btw, i am extremely fast rider for someone who rides as much as me.

If you count 10 mile / week as "much".

:)

SteelBlue
04-24-2006, 07:20 PM

Maybe your sense of humor just doesn't come across well in a message board format. Maybe I just don't "get" you. But you've managed to annoy me greatly in the very few times you've posted here. You drop in here telling us you used to weigh almost 300 pounds. But now, you are (by virtue of this incredible top speed you can sustain) one of the most powerful road cyclists in the world. Oh, and we're all old and chubby. Forgive me if I'm a tad skeptical and more than a little annoyed. I suspect maybe you just wanted to fit in and that's fine. But drop the World's Greatest Cyclist charade and you'll find this place much more enjoyable.

creekster
04-24-2006, 07:21 PM
I hoped it was clear that I was being very tongue in cheek in my reply to you. I think I am being misinterpreted. I first made the stement about why enjoy road riding over mountain biking which I also love. Because on the road bike I can go 35 MPH. Be it on a hill or a short sprint, is irrelevant. I can't get the mtb to go that fast under the same conditions. That is a fair and honest statement. And I am sure that most people that ride regularly can relate. I was quick to retract the "indefinitely" word. I know how hard it is to reach 30 MPH and stay there for any given period of time. Conditions have to be right: wind, road surface etc. But I do regularly hit it and stay there. I also run out of road and am forced to slow down pretty quickly. So to be honest, I don't know exactly how long I could hold it (which is the definition of indefiitely). I have never had the opportunity to find out. So take it for what it's worth. Beleive me if you wish. Call me a liar if that makes you feel better. It means nothing to me.

Ok, let's shake and go riding, as long as you give me a head start. I have to quit dealing with this becasue I already wasted one weekend on it.

Quisqueyano
04-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Maybe your sense of humor just doesn't come across well in a message board format. Maybe I just don't "get" you. But you've managed to annoy me greatly in the very few times you've posted here. You drop in here telling us you used to weigh almost 300 pounds. But now, you are (by virtue of this incredible top speed you can sustain) one of the most powerful road cyclists in the world. Oh, and we're all old and chubby. Forgive me if I'm a tad skeptical and more than a little annoyed. I suspect maybe you just wanted to fit in and that's fine. But drop the World's Greatest Cyclist charade and you'll find this place much more enjoyable.

The funny thing is that you would probably like me if we met. I am a very easy going guy that likes to joke around. I wasn't trying to "fit in". I have never tried to fit in anywhere. I just wanted to talk about cycling. I also pointed out that I consider myself very average.
As for calling you all chubby, well, merely repeated what I think I saw almost all of you guys calling yourselves at one point or another.
And i really dod weigh almost 300 pounds. And now i don't. Because I ride or rune as much as I can. Again believe me if you wish. Most people tell me that I am an inspiration. I guess you choose to dislike me.

Quisqueyano
04-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Ok, let's shake and go riding, as long as you give me a head start. I have to quit dealing with this becasue I already wasted one weekend on it.

You name the time and place. i'll ride the mountain bike and drag a bag of rocks to keep it fair. That was a joke (In case SteelBlue didn't catch that).

DirtyHippieUTE
04-24-2006, 10:15 PM
A new personal best for me the other day. I did the 14 mile (7 out, 7 back) Moscow/Pullman trail in just under 40 minutes. I figure I averaged 21 mph the whole way. We don't need to talk about how long it took me to get to and from the trailhead (I wasn't in my happy place anymore).

FWIW: This is a flat, newly paved, and well cared for trail.

Archaea
04-24-2006, 11:23 PM
I need to work hard this next month, so I'm dreading the workouts, nothing but pain.

What is that line from whatever space movie, "Pain, pain for thousands of years in its belly"

All-American
04-25-2006, 12:07 AM
That's not quite "Return of the Jedi."

"There you will learn a new definition of suffering as you are slowly digested over the course of a thousand years."