PDA

View Full Version : Book review

bluegoose
04-20-2006, 05:12 PM
I just finished reading Andy Pruitt's book "Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists". It was a good read. About 150 pages or so. I read it in about 3 days without really trying. Topics covered included bike fit, training techniques, nutrition, cycling biomechanics, injury prevention and injury management.

Probably the most helpful section was on bike fit. I commented to SteelBlue before I started that it was probably going to contain way more information of bike fit than I would care to know, but it was actually fairly practical stuff.

The injury management stuff was fairly basic stuff and many of his paragraphs ended with "Consult with a physical therapist or your physician for proper management of your condition if these tips don't help". But his research was sound and he obviously has a very good knowledge of cycling and injury management.

Overall, it was a good book. The only thing I didn't like about the book was that he was constantly referring you to Specialized lines of shoes, gloves, cleats or bikes, as he had a hand in designing them and, as a result they were far superior to anything else.

creekster
04-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Good call. I will look for this book.

I typically don't like product plugs, but let me say this for Specialized: I developed a numbness issue in my left hand when riding our tandem for more than 30 or 40 miles. It was an ulnar issue but I couldn't figure out why I was getting it and myriad adjustments to the brake levers and shifters and bar ends didn't help ( the tandem is a mountain frame and has straight bars with Newk bar ends). Somebody suggested a line of Specialized gloves (I can't recall the catchy name) that is designed to address this problem. I got a pari and used them on a century the folloiwing week. No problem. They completely solved the issue. I am at a complete loss to explain why, becasue looking at them they don't really look that different. but they work and work well.