PDA

View Full Version : Question about running ...

Hazzard
04-17-2006, 11:21 PM
I figure most of you cyclists have also been runners, so I'm posting this here.

I have decided that I'd like to lose the 20 pounds I've put on in the past couple of years, so I've started running again. Last time I was really into running (5 miles per run 5-6 times per week @ 7 minutes/mile) I started getting bad shin splints and had to stop. This time, I've eased into it a lot more slowly. I've been running 2-3 times per week for the past 6 weeks and I'm now up to 2-3 miles per run (at about a 7-minute per mile clip).

My main goals are to (1) not get shin splints; (2) feel healthy; (3) lose the gut.

What would be a good running program to achieve those three goals? (I have heard that in order to burn fat it's best to take long, slow runs. True? And if so, how long and how slow?)

Jeff Lebowski
04-17-2006, 11:33 PM
The best way to avoid shin splints is to make sure you warm up beforehand. Walk briskly until you start to sweat before you start jogging. This makes a huge difference. You may also want to ice down your legs when you are done and/or take some ibupfrofen (sp?) if the shin splints persist.

I have been lifting weights since last September and that (in addition to jogging) has made a big difference for my waistline. I feel great.

Archaea
04-17-2006, 11:34 PM
I would not rely upon running if you've already started to suffer shinsplints.

First, buy the best quality shoe, period. Asics, Kayano, unless you're very heavy, then buy the heavy set shoe.

Second, cross train to avoid injury.

Third, mileage should only increase ten percent per week.

Fourth, do not do the same thing every day. You need to vary it in order to get maximum benefit.

Slow and long one day, tempo runa another day and some intermediate stuff.

Make certain you have physician approval before commencing any rigorous exercise routine.

Hazzard
04-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Make certain you have physician approval before commencing any rigorous exercise routine.

LOL.

And thanks for the tips, Arch and homeboy. It all makes sense.

bluegoose
04-17-2006, 11:57 PM
What part of your shin are you getting the splints? Anterior or medial? 2 different causes for each type. Anterior is typically due to too many miles, too quickly. Medial shin splints are often either an overuse injury or due to faulty mechanics and/or poor foortwear.

10% per week is a very good recommendation for increasing mileage.

I agree that foot wear is key to avoiding injury.

Fat burning efficiency is greatest at about 60-80% of maximum heart rate. Any higher than that and you are mainly burning carbohydrates for your primary energy source.

Archaea
04-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Another set of concerns.

You need to consider cross training two to three days per week.

You also mentioned you were running seven minute miles, which may be too fast for your curent conditioning.

Hazzard
04-18-2006, 12:10 AM
60% to 80% is the ideal for fat burning? Interesting.

I am a little impatient when I run. I like to get the pain over with as quickly as possible! But I think you guys are correct -- I need to cross train more and take longer, slower runs.

As for the shin splints, bluegoose, I believe they were anterior. I'm sure it was due to too many miles too quickly. Again, my impatience got the best of me.

I'm at the point in my life where it's time to start making exercise a regular part of my routine, as opposed to that thing I do every once in a while when I want to get in shape. It sounds like the advice I'm getting is geared to toward that kind of a lifestyle change, so I appreciate it.

SteelBlue
04-18-2006, 12:16 AM
If your goal is to drop 20 pounds I will tell you right now that weightlifting and 3 weekly short but intense cardio sessions will do more to drop your weight than any running that you do. I strongly recommend the "Body for Life" program for anyone who wants to lose fat. When I stuck to that program rigidly, I lost 25 pounds and kept if off for a year before deciding that I wanted to try and bulk up. (That worked well for a time until I began to enjoy the eating and not the lifting). The nutrition part of the program was difficult, but very doable.

Archaea
04-18-2006, 12:18 AM
The key to fat burning is slow work for a prolonged period, not fast work.

There are three training phases, base, strength and speed (which should be avoided for everybody but those who race).

Base burns fat, and some strength can burns fat, and speed burns carbs.

Low heart rate above 110 but below 140 burns fat, not above, depending on lactate threshholds and maximum heartrate.

SteelBlue
04-18-2006, 12:42 AM
The key to fat burning is slow work for a prolonged period, not fast work.

There are three training phases, base, strength and speed (which should be avoided for everybody but those who race).

Base burns fat, and some strength can burns fat, and speed burns carbs.

Low heart rate above 110 but below 140 burns fat, not above, depending on lactate threshholds and maximum heartrate.

The difference is that runners and cyclists end up catabolizing a lot of muscle as they train. Less muscle mass makes it more difficult to burn fat. People who weight train and eat properly are the most efficient of fat burners. If they add a cardio component (short duration) they can be very good at a lot of traditional sports. They will most likely suck at any endurance sport.

Quisqueyano
04-20-2006, 05:24 PM
I fwieght loss is your goal, you need to be doing about 45 minutes a day of a long, slow workout. As was already saud, those are the ones that melt the fat. Problem is that most people can't run for that long. Especially beginners. That's is why cycling so so great. And you don't need an expensive bike. I lost 90 lbs in 6 months on a 10 year old Trek 800.

Anonymous
04-20-2006, 07:21 PM
I fwieght loss is your goal, you need to be doing about 45 minutes a day of a long, slow workout. As was already saud, those are the ones that melt the fat. Problem is that most people can't run for that long. Especially beginners. That's is why cycling so so great. And you don't need an expensive bike. I lost 90 lbs in 6 months on a 10 year old Trek 800.

Trek 800??? I thought my first bike took the cake - Trek 1000 with down tube shifters and Suntour components. We have a new winner!!!

bluegoose
04-20-2006, 07:22 PM
That was me by the way.

SteelBlue
04-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Trek 800??? I thought my first bike took the cake - Trek 1000 with down tube shifters and Suntour components. We have a new winner!!!

Hey blueguest, you forgot to log in. :wink:

bluegoose
04-20-2006, 07:28 PM
How'd you know it was me? Was it my graphic description of that piece of crap that you used to have to shag parts that kept falling off?

creekster
04-20-2006, 08:13 PM
All you racer weight weenie types . . . . I'll have you know that in the touring community down-tube shifters are considerd desireable, becasue they can be easily replaced if broken and you are on the road to timbuktu. Moreover, I still have a cannondale crit frame, circa 89 or 90 with shimano 600 (Ultegra before they called it ultegra) down-tube sifters that I love and ride evry now and again just for fun. It is one of the stiffest and most responsive frames I have ever been on (but doing a long century on it can be bad on the back). So don't bag on the down tube shifters, they still work for some of us gray-haired geezers.

Quisqueyano
04-20-2006, 08:16 PM

Don't knock it. I put about 1000 miles of road and mountain biking on it in about a 3 month period a couple of summers ago. The thing road like a champ. I just sold it for 75 bucks.
I did up-grade the shifters though.

bluegoose
04-20-2006, 08:19 PM
All you racer weight weenie types . . . . I'll have you know that in the touring community down-tube shifters are considerd desireable, becasue they can be easily replaced if broken and you are on the road to timbuktu. Moreover, I still have a cannondale crit frame, circa 89 or 90 with shimano 600 (Ultegra before they called it ultegra) down-tube sifters that I love and ride evry now and again just for fun. It is one of the stiffest and most responsive frames I have ever been on (but doing a long century on it can be bad on the back). So don't bag on the down tube shifters, they still work for some of us gray-haired geezers.

Hey old man!!! I think the neighbor kids are playing on your lawn again.

realtall
04-28-2006, 03:36 AM
I guess that's what you get when you post a question about running on a cycling forum. You get a bunch of cyclists telling you that you should be doing what they do(cycle).

To be fair, though, I think highly of cycling and its benefits, mainly the lack of injuries(my favorite part about it).

I have found running to be very rewarding as it has helped me, along with diet(of course), lose 53 pounds. As far as avoiding shin splints go, if you are a beginner start low(mileage) and slow. Start with a mile, maybe two and do that for a couple of weeks. From then on increase your mileage every week or every other week but, either way, no more than 10% at a time. You WILL get into trouble if you violate this rule. And for pete's sake make sure you have decent shoes. Go to a running specialty store as those jokers at the mall generaly don't know what they're talking about and probably don't have what you need anyways. A running store can get you set up right. Make sure that your running shoes are a size larger than your wearing shoes as your feet swell somewhat as you run. That was a painful lesson that I learned.

Shin Splints: these are tough to get over sometimes. The best thing that you can do to speed the healing process is crosstrain(swimming is really good, also cycling) and apply cold(ice pack is best. You can also try a product like 'Mineral Ice') to the affected are for a 10-20 minutes every day. There is no substitute giving it time to heal, though.

I hope that this helps.