PDA

View Full Version : What is the amount of your student debt (in today's dollars) when you graduated?

Mormon Red Death
04-09-2008, 05:07 PM
anonymous poll

marsupial
04-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I didn't take out any student loans. I was on a full ride scholarship funded by my parents. (It was a pretty competitive scholarship. They only gave it out to one other person, my brother.)

BigFatMeanie
04-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Maybe like $3000 total in student loans by the time I flunked out. For most of my educational career (I use that term loosely) I was on the "Old Man Meanie" scholarship plan in with Old Man Meanie covered tuition and I was responsible for everything else. Old Man Meanie got tired of subsidizing 0.0 GPAs and so eventually he cut me off. I used student loans the last two semesters I spent flunking out of the U. Paid them off shortly afterwards.

MikeWaters
04-09-2008, 09:21 PM
My parents bought me a cheap car, when as a RM, I told them if they ever wanted grandkids, they would need to do this.

il Padrino Ute
04-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I was fortunate to not have had any school loan debts.

nikuman
04-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I am loathe to give exact figures. It is south of my home mortgage, and we will leave it at that.

It is more than double the highest option on the poll.

Columbia+NYC+two kids is very expensive.

We are gradually whittling away.

This is why my "rich guy" shtick is a complete farce.

Mormon Red Death
04-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I am loathe to give exact figures. It is south of my home mortgage, and we will leave it at that.

but aren't you makine 500k a year? easy to pay off 180k in debt when your are making half a million a year

K-dog
04-09-2008, 09:57 PM

Columbia was the mistake. A guy at my firm was asking my wife why she went to BYU instead of Harvard (he was a Harvard guy) and she answered "We both got to the same place salary-wise but you cost a lot more doing it. The real question is why you went to Harvard while I went to BYU?"

MikeWaters
04-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I will have you all know that the govt. has paid off over a third of my student debt so far.

:)

TripletDaddy
04-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Columbia was the mistake. A guy at my firm was asking my wife why she went to BYU instead of Harvard (he was a Harvard guy) and she answered "We both got to the same place salary-wise but you cost a lot more doing it. The real question is why you went to Harvard while I went to BYU?"

Perhaps the greatest commentary ever on the high price of the Harvard brand.

It's wicked!

ymsHLkB8u3s

nikuman
04-09-2008, 10:27 PM

Three counterpoints:

1. I didn't have to work at school to land a job with a great firm. BYU types do have to work hard or be very gifted.

2. I have a leg up in further employment searches (per the admissions of several employers), especially in Utah. At least as far as getting my foot in the door goes. This is not fair, perhaps, but it is true.

3. My wife would have killed me, you, herself and 9/10ths of Provo had we lived there one minute longer.

SeattleUte
04-10-2008, 04:42 AM
$45,000 in 1986. What is that in today's dollars?

TripletDaddy
04-10-2008, 04:43 AM
$45,000 in 1986. What is that in today's dollars?

This thread had some serious potential, but it was killed in embryo by the unnecessary requirement to convert into today's dollars. I think most people didn't want to bother finding an online currency coverter with NPV functions.

Clark Addison
04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
$0 for Undergrad.
Under $5,000 for Grad school.

Both at BYU. No dollars from parents after Freshman year (they paid for Deseret Towers that year).

It is possible to get an undergrad degree pretty much by teaching at the MTC. Of course, I always did double shifts in the summer, sometimes triple shifts, which was technically against the law (or rather, the way that they paid me for it was).