PDA

View Full Version : Took the new bike out this morning..

il Padrino Ute
04-09-2006, 03:44 AM
I have to say that I'm proud of myself. I went about 17 miles this morning - all on the mean streets of Murray. After about 12 miles I started to feel a bit of cramping in the calves, but I toughed it out and made it home. Cramping left at about the 15 mile mark, so I was able to finish with postivie thoughts that cycling is a good thing.

One thing I did learn that was a negative is that I have the same luck with hitting every red light possible on a bike as I do in my car. :evil:

MikeWaters
04-09-2006, 04:06 AM
is there not a good bike path for you to take somewhere? In general it is dangerous riding on the streets alone. Esp highways with or without shoulders.

Be careful out there. (and please tell me that you use a helmet).

il Padrino Ute
04-09-2006, 04:16 AM
Yes, I wear a helmet. A really cool University of Utah helmet, even.

Today, I got started at about 6:00 am when there wasn't much traffic around, so I felt rather safe. There is a nice bike trail along the Jordan River. As per your advice, I'll start riding there from now on.

creekster
04-09-2006, 04:28 AM
is there not a good bike path for you to take somewhere? In general it is dangerous riding on the streets alone. Esp highways with or without shoulders.

Be careful out there. (and please tell me that you use a helmet).

I'm not sure I agree with this. If you are sensible, and don't take risks, the danger of riding on the streets is not that great. You have to stay ocmpletey attuned to what's going on around you, menaing no ipods, etc., but it really isn't that bad. The curve for serious accidents and injuries shows that the rate of injury drops DRAMATICALLY once a rider has had a couple of years experience (if you want, I will try to dig this out) and if you back out kids from the stats. SO if you have some experience, then don't be afraid of the roads, just be careful.

That being said, paths are great, but they can be annoying if they are multi-use, as a lot of kids and walkers and joggers, oblivious to the world around them, end up being obstacles. Most (but not all) of my close calls have come on bike paths when I have almost falttened some goof ball who doesn't listen when I say on your left or some such.

MikeWaters
04-09-2006, 04:35 AM
I don't know if it's just having more riders and more people in general, but I have heard of too many injuries and deaths around here to want to ride much alone on streets and highways.

Luckily there is a great riding area very near me.

I only go out on the long road rides in groups.

creekster
04-09-2006, 04:41 AM
I don't know if it's just having more riders and more people in general, but I have heard of too many injuries and deaths around here to want to ride much alone on streets and highways.

Luckily there is a great riding area very near me.

I only go out on the long road rides in groups.

But have you atempted to determine if they result from being alone? A few years back in this area one of the worst cycling tragedies occurred when a teen age girl dirving a Tahoe bent down to get a CD that had dropped on the floor and without realizing it plowed her truck into a bunch of riders out on a club ride. Several died, a couple paralyzed and lots of injuries. Group riding can't protect you from idiots. I supose it can lessen the chance that some redneck stops the pickup and tries to beat the crap out of you, but if a car is coming over to your space it will kil three as easily as one.

SteelBlue
04-09-2006, 04:44 AM
We have miles upon miles of country roads out here. Perfect for riding, but of course with the occasional scary encounter. Hey IlPadrino, tell us how you feel the very next time you sit on that seat. :wink:

il Padrino Ute
04-09-2006, 04:54 AM
Will do. Right now, I feel ok, but I suspect I'll feel it a bit more tomorrow.

As for how I'l fell the next time I get in the saddle, I can't imagine it would be any worse than getting back behind home plate after getting between the plate and a 230 pound baserunner. ;)

MikeWaters
04-09-2006, 05:11 AM
It's safer to ride in groups, because you are much more visible.

Same thing holds for motorcycle groups.

I will take my chances in a group anyday, compared to riding solo.

bluegoose
04-10-2006, 03:38 PM
We've had very few, if any, bad cycling accidents in our area, despite this being a very active cycling community.

One guy was killed about 2 years ago, riding solo on a country road at 2:00am with no helmet. And yes, he was wearing blue jeans and not technically a true cyclist, but that is all we have had.

I've been run off the road once while riding on a quiet country road a couple of years ago, but really no close calls beyond that. Actually the only other close calls I've had were during group rides or during centuries with other riders being stupid.

I personally feel very safe riding the roads around our area. I typically ride very early in the morning before there is much traffic, and I hardly ever ride in or near town. One of the benefits of living in a semi-rural area where country roads are 5-10 minutes away from my house in 3 of 4 directions.

creekster
04-10-2006, 03:52 PM
I really don't disagree with what Mike says; visibility is enhanced by a group. Can't deny that. My point, to the extent I have one, is that telling a new cyclist to stay away from road riding becasue of the inherent danger of riding solo just isn't supported by the nature of the risk (inattentive drivers) or the statisitics. Group riding or rural road riding is clearly preferrable to city riding, unless you are misanthropic and live in a city, then prudent city riding is fine. Just be careful. If you are careful, don't antagonize cars, always expect all drivers to be idiots that are about to hit you and act accordingly, wear a helmet and pay atteniton, you will almost certaibnly be fine.

Archaea
04-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Obviously, there is risk, but proper attire and attention to what is happening around one will minimize the risk.

I imagine the risks rise for the new rider, until he learns what is happening around him. The key to city riding is to be firm, yet not aggressive. Remember what they taught you in driver's ed? Defensive driving skills. Defensive riding skills are a must. And groups, once you are comfortable riding together is safer than alone, yet I do a lot of both.

Great job, Paddy boy.

For me, it's not really the traffic, but the speed of the traffic and the width of the side of the rode. The only place where we tend to have problems involve narrow shoulders and high speed traffic. Avoid those areas if you can or until you are more comfortable negotiating traffic.

Remember one thing as well, cars often see right through you, so you must grab the eyes or attention of drivers.

NEVER ever ride without a helmet. I've been hit by cars a few times and one time my life was saved by the helmet. With it, I was only carted to the hospital but walked out fine. Without it, the paramedics said, I'd be dead. (I landed on my head). Get a good one. (PS, take off the visor, they're gay).

bluegoose
04-10-2006, 05:04 PM
I guess the term "brain bucket" holds new meaning for you now Archaea.

MikeWaters
04-10-2006, 05:23 PM
I think I have a decent understanding of risk. I rode a motorcycle for 3 years in urban Houston.

In general I tend to try to minimize risk.

For example, my dad's club has a weekly TT. On a highway with light traffic and shoulder.

I rode on the shoulder. Many others rode on the white stripe. Why? Because it is faster and has a little less gravel debris.

They make their choice, I make mine.