PDA

View Full Version : Official brag about your salary thread

jay santos
01-11-2008, 02:58 PM
I can golf 18 with a cart at a great golf course for less than an hour's wage. I can also drive from office to home to pick up clubs and to course all in less than 15 minutes during "peak" traffic. Can you do that?

Indy Coug
01-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Keep in mind that FMCoug's hourly wage is pretty dang high.

hyrum
01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
I I can also drive from office to home to pick up clubs and to course all in less than 15 minutes during "peak" traffic. Can you do that?

Who doesn't have their clubs in their trunk??

FMCoug
01-11-2008, 03:06 PM
I can golf 18 with a cart at a great golf course for less than an hour's wage. I can also drive from office to home to pick up clubs and to course all in less than 15 minutes during "peak" traffic. Can you do that?

Not only that but I can also golf when you're enduring a blizzard. :)

BYU71
01-11-2008, 03:11 PM
My comment would be that it is a dang good thing we all dont' like the same things. Otherwise only those of us who are able to think outside the box would be able to get those things.

jay santos
01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Not only that but I can also golf when you're enduring a blizzard. :)

What do you do FM? I know you do day trading and you're building a big house.

FMCoug
01-11-2008, 03:15 PM
What do you do FM? I know you do day trading and you're building a big house.

I'm a computer geek. I work for match.com.

And the house has been done for quite some time.

MikeWaters
01-11-2008, 03:18 PM

tell me how this new feature of being able to set up your friends works. I may need to get involved. My setup skills are legendary.

jay santos
01-11-2008, 03:22 PM

What percent more do you think you make in Texas compared to what you would make in a similar job in Utah? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make any more in Texas at my job than I make in Utah or it would be close. Most large employers in Utah have locations outside of Utah and wages have to be somewhat standard. I'm not sure where you're coming from with this wage thing.

FMCoug
01-11-2008, 03:26 PM
What percent more do you think you make in Texas compared to what you would make in a similar job in Utah? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make any more in Texas at my job than I make in Utah or it would be close. Most large employers in Utah have locations outside of Utah and wages have to be somewhat standard. I'm not sure where you're coming from with this wage thing.

At least double. Probably even more than that. I am a non-management technical employee (very senior and damn good at what I do ... but still) and I make well into six figures.

TripletDaddy
01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Am I the only one willing to admit that I do not really golf? I really enjoy it when I go (even though I stink), but I just dont have the desire to ever go that much.

I have no problem getting up at 5:45AM and meeting a few friends to go surf. In fact, I look forward to that in the same way some of you golf aficionados love the links. But the golf bug never bit me. All told, I just would rather both my balls be in the water than only one of them.

ute4ever
01-11-2008, 03:28 PM
I work for match.com.

You bastards sent me a misleading email offering to sign me up for free etc. etc. So I spent 20 minutes filling out the page after page of information, and then at the end, if I wanted to see any matches, it would be $69.95. So in other words it's only free to waste your time filling all that crap out....hey thanks. Ctrl-W.

FMCoug
01-11-2008, 03:30 PM
At least double. Probably even more than that. I am a non-management technical employee (very senior and damn good at what I do ... but still) and I make well into six figures.

But let's see what the Utahns in my industry have to say:

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/message.html?id=3365456

jay santos
01-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Guys at Novell don't make that, that are comparable to your skill level? Or Omniture or Altirus? The high tech companies change so much I'm not sure what the other comparable firms are.

FMCoug
01-11-2008, 03:32 PM
You bastards sent me a misleading email offering to sign me up for free etc. etc. So I spent 20 minutes filling out the page after page of information, and then at the end, if I wanted to see any matches, it would be $69.95. So in other words it's only free to waste your time filling all that crap out....hey thanks. Ctrl-W.

You can see as many matches as you want for free. You just can't communicate with them without paying.

MikeWaters
01-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Am I the only one willing to admit that I do not really golf? I really enjoy it when I go (even though I stink), but I just dont have the desire to ever go that much.

I have no problem getting up at 5:45AM and meeting a few friends to go surf. In fact, I look forward to that in the same way some of you golf aficionados love the links. But the golf bug never bit me. All told, I just would rather both my balls be in the water than only one of them.

I've golfed twice in my life, and probably consigned myself to the terrestrial kingdom, based on my language and behavior on the course.

Golf sucks.

TripletDaddy
01-11-2008, 03:37 PM

The issue is not how many figures make up your income.

It is where the decimals and commas fall.

jay santos
01-11-2008, 03:39 PM

I see some of the responses. I really don't know. It's not my field. I know our IT guys make the same as they do at our Texas operations. The IT market might be soft here, but I don't see that as a "LDS culture thing". Twenty years ago it was one of the hottest IT markets around and programmers were making as much as doctors.

What are you gonna do when they figure out a guy in Bangalore can do your job for $8 an hour?

Jeff Lebowski
01-11-2008, 03:40 PM

A guy in my ward was looking for someone with the skills you listed recently. He told me he was willing to pay $125-150K per year. He was having a real tough time filling the position.

TripletDaddy
01-11-2008, 03:42 PM
I've golfed twice in my life, and probably consigned myself to the terrestrial kingdom, based on my language and behavior on the course.

Golf sucks.

I suck at it, but I actually have a lot of fun when I go. I try not to go with serious golfers because then it becomes annoying if you aren't moving fast enough. I love going with good golfers who don't mind giving you a tip or two, but then can shut up when you are teeing off.

I also like that metal key thing that is used to replace divots. Sometimes I will just poke holes in the grass while I am waiting for everyone else to tee off.

Sign that I am a golf rookie....my ball marker is just a coin. I don't have any cool official ball marker.

We used to live about 5 minutes from Pelican Hill in Newport. I have golfed North and South both a few times. It just recently re-opened and is a beautiful course. I've done Kapalua in Hawaii. Also beautiful.

I also went a ton in law school to Tri Cities in American Fork. I think it cost about $12 to golf. I loved that place. Hobble Creek was awesome. East Bay exec course....NOT awesome. Seven Peaks.....NOT awesome.

FMCoug
01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
A guy in my ward was looking for someone with the skills you listed recently. He told me he was willing to pay $125-150K per year. He was having a real tough time filling the position.

Interesting. I imagine he was having a tough time due to the perceptions of guys like me. But even at that, for me it's not just about being able to find A job. It's many jobs.

Meaning I could replace my income at another company without having to move.

FMCoug
01-11-2008, 03:47 PM
I see some of the responses. I really don't know. It's not my field. I know our IT guys make the same as they do at our Texas operations. The IT market might be soft here, but I don't see that as a "LDS culture thing". Twenty years ago it was one of the hottest IT markets around and programmers were making as much as doctors.

What are you gonna do when they figure out a guy in Bangalore can do your job for $8 an hour?

Two points:

1. I'm not an IT guy. I build the back-end systems for a website that is used by millions. A far cry from running servers for a branch office, etc.

2. The guy in Bangalor CAN'T do my job. It's been tried. I have made a TON of money doing haz-mat duty cleaning up the messes made by off shoring.

jay santos
01-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Two points:

1. I'm not an IT guy. I build the back-end systems for a website that is used by millions. A far cry from running servers for a branch office, etc.

2. The guy in Bangalor CAN'T do my job. It's been tried. I have made a TON of money doing haz-mat duty cleaning up the messes made by off shoring.

1. IT = programming, no? Our best Oracle guy was making $150K. I don't know if that's your level or not. He moved to California but not for $, it was just because he wasn't LDS and didn't like Utah.

2. They're getting really good in Bangalore.

Jeff Lebowski
01-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Two points:

Amen to that. Off-shoring has reached a state of equilibrium, IMO. Demand for CS/IT experts in the US is very strong.

FMCoug
01-11-2008, 03:54 PM
1. IT = programming, no?
Depends on the company. And granted I don't know what your company does. But the difference IMO is product vs. in-house. The software I work on IS our product. Not something that supports operations, etc. Writing code that is going to a server farm that is responsible for collecting the $400M / year in revenue is very different that writing code for the in-house accounting system.

They're getting really good in Bangalore.

Spoken like a true finance guy. Keep doing it. The consulting fees to fix the mess are out of this world.

MikeWaters
01-11-2008, 03:56 PM
My dad doesn't make much scratch as an oracle DBA in an academic environment.

I just wanted you to feel better jay.

jay santos
01-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Depends on the company. And granted I don't know what your company does. But the difference IMO is product vs. in-house. The software I work on IS our product. Not something that supports operations, etc. Writing code that is going to a server farm that is responsible for collecting the $400M / year in revenue is very different that writing code for the in-house accounting system.

Spoken like a true finance guy. Keep doing it. The consulting fees to fix the mess are out of this world.

LOL, touche. I like your feistiness.

Well, I'm sorry you couldn't find your dream job in Utah, FM. Maybe it's more competitive for the high paying jobs here, and it's easier in Texas.

FMCoug
01-11-2008, 04:04 PM
LOL, touche. I like your feistiness.

Well, I'm sorry you couldn't find your dream job in Utah, FM. Maybe it's more competitive for the high paying jobs here, and it's easier in Texas.

LOL.

jay santos
01-11-2008, 04:04 PM
My dad doesn't make much scratch as an oracle DBA in an academic environment.

I just wanted you to feel better jay.

:)

I think there might be a principle behind FM's rant. Some people sacrifice money for lifestyle in their careers. I would be making a lot more if I went into investment banking or consulting, but it wasn't the life I wanted. But I think people make those same lifestyle decisions in other states, not just Utah. And a more standard job like business or IT--I'm not sure it's gonna be that different Utah to another place apples to apples job.

BYU71
01-11-2008, 04:08 PM

That is great. I still think making well into six figures is a dang good income. Dang good.

However, you can also do well in Utah. I live here and my income tax will be well into 6 figures. :)

FMCoug
01-11-2008, 04:11 PM
That is great. I still think making well into six figures is a dang good income. Dang good.

However, you can also do well in Utah. I live here and my income tax will be well into 6 figures. :)

The bottom line with all of this is that discussing it in terms of individual careers is pointless. Nothing like a sample size of 1 or 2 right Jay? :)

In reality, if I wantd to, I probably COULD move to Utah now and make what I'm making. Individual salary history has a huge impact on negotiations. But I don't think I could have developed that history if I had stayed in Utah.

Which incidentally is why I think if a kid wants to live in Utah, a good life/career plan is to leave for 5-10 years, then move back.

BYU71
01-11-2008, 04:20 PM
The bottom line with all of this is that discussing it in terms of individual careers is pointless. Nothing like a sample size of 1 or 2 right Jay? :)

In reality, if I wantd to, I probably COULD move to Utah now and make what I'm making. Individual salary history has a huge impact on negotiations. But I don't think I could have developed that history if I had stayed in Utah.

Which incidentally is why I think if a kid wants to live in Utah, a good life/career plan is to leave for 5-10 years, then move back.

To live comfortably you have to meet a certain income level. After that choices open up to you where you can trade off additional income for other things.

Indy Coug
01-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I make 9 times as much now as I used to make early in my life.

MikeWaters
01-11-2008, 04:23 PM

I made about $3.85 per hour for my first job.

It depresses me to think about how little I worked for. I guess that's why they say education is a good thing.

jay santos
01-11-2008, 04:24 PM

I make considerable more than my first job of $3.35 an hour. Although I don't get free food at this job.

Indy Coug
01-11-2008, 04:27 PM
My highest paying job on a per hour basis was washing cars and mowing lawns in Saudi Arabia as a teenager during the summer. It took me until I was 26 to make as much per hour as I did then.

It's amazing how much people will pay not to have to do those things in 115 degree heat.

BYU71
01-11-2008, 04:35 PM
My highest paying job on a per hour basis was washing cars and mowing lawns in Saudi Arabia as a teenager during the summer. It took me until I was 26 to make as much per hour as I did then.

It's amazing how much people will pay not to have to do those things in 115 degree heat.

I made 80 cents an hour at Lagoon the summer between my Jr. and Sr. year in high school. That lasted two months and I decided to quit and go to France for the rest of the summer.

Indy Coug
01-11-2008, 04:37 PM
I made 80 cents an hour at Lagoon

Based on the CPI, that equates to $30.72 an hour in 2008 dollars. We you working in the Tunnel of Love or something?

K-dog
01-11-2008, 04:46 PM
My first hourly job was $4.15/hr. My first job was delivering papers...I don't want to think about what I was paid to do that.

jay santos
01-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Based on the CPI, that equates to $30.72 an hour in 2008 dollars. We you working in the Tunnel of Love or something?

You've underestimated 71's age there.

BYU71
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM

Actually the speed way. It was an awesome job. The fringes were great. Always plenty of hot women. Free tickets to the Beach Boys, Paul Revere and the Raiders, etc.

TripletDaddy
01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
My first job was at a small bakery chain called La Petite Boulangerie. Bread and deli. We were making just over $3 an hour in the mid 80s. 2 of my friends and I all applied together and we were all hired. It was a lot of fun.

We were all fired because one day we decided to slice open the side of a few baugettes and put pickle spears inside them and sell them to people. We thought it would be funny to watch their expressions as they sliced open their baguettes to find pickles inside. We didnt really think it through very well. We were all fired that day.

ute4ever
01-11-2008, 05:05 PM
My first job was for the University of Utah football team, working at their catered dinner line in a room in the student Union building. I was paid $3.80 to shovel food onto plates, and keep the drink machines filled, and the salad, sandwich, and dessert bars stocked, and bus their tables. Most of them were really cool, would shoot pool with me afterwards, invite me to their parties and gave me game tickets.

Mormon Red Death
01-11-2008, 05:07 PM

It depresses me to think about how little I worked for. I guess that's why they say education is a good thing.

I make more than double the highest wage both my parents made together

Education is a great thing.

marsupial
01-11-2008, 05:42 PM
I make more than double the highest wage both my parents made together

Education is a great thing.

Sadly, Danimal with his PhD will probably never make what my dad did with his high school diploma.

Surfah
01-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I have a buddy who is 28 and in his first year of law school and has never had a job in his life.

Brian
01-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Job 1. $3.35 per hour washing dishes at Pancho Villa on Highland Dr. near Cottonwood Mall. It's gone now.
The bus boys would collect the fumes from the tequilla mini-bottles after clearing a table and have about 3/4 of a mini at the end of a busy weekend. A nice buzzed bike ride home.

Filsdepac
01-11-2008, 06:13 PM
My Resume:

In-n-out: $8.50/hour
Breyer's Ice Cream Distribution (working in -32 degree warehouse): $11/hour
Abercrombie and Fitch: $5.50/hour
BYU CID: $11/hour
Current job (Auditor): As it's busy season, probably like $4.48/hour
Being able to go on cougarguard while working: Priceless

marsupial
01-11-2008, 06:21 PM
My Resume:

In-n-out: $8.50/hour
Breyer's Ice Cream Distribution (working in -32 degree warehouse): $11/hour
Abercrombie and Fitch: $5.50/hour
BYU CID: $11/hour
Current job (Auditor): As it's busy season, probably like $4.48/hour
Being able to go on cougarguard while working: Priceless

You worked at Abercrombie and Fitch? You must be very pretty. :)

Filsdepac
01-11-2008, 06:29 PM
You worked at Abercrombie and Fitch? You must be very pretty. :)

Or gullible. I was the clothes folder, not the model, hence the salary. My friend and I were just shopping and they asked if we wanted a job, we thought we'd score some chicks that way. Worst job ever.

Jeff Lebowski
01-11-2008, 06:53 PM
I live within my means.

Runner Coug
01-23-2008, 05:54 AM
I have had a few years where I've made a bit over 6 figures, but most of the time I fall a few thousand short. That's with no college degree, and in all honesty, it's really not hard work. I leave my house between 10-11 am every morning, and get home by 6.

I feel really bad when I go visit my brother who spent 7 years in school and makes 60k less than me.

marsupial
01-23-2008, 12:43 PM
I have had a few years where I've made a bit over 6 figures, but most of the time I fall a few thousand short. That's with no college degree, and in all honesty, it's really not hard work. I leave my house between 10-11 am every morning, and get home by 6.

I feel really bad when I go visit my brother who spent 7 years in school and makes 60k less than me.

So, how do I get into your downline?

MikeWaters
01-23-2008, 01:45 PM

7 years in school is not bad at all for that kind of money , considering he dropped out before junior high.

Detroitdad
01-24-2008, 02:32 AM
I make almost one third annually what my student loans are. Very exciting. I vomit in my own mouth a little when I think about all those years of foregone wages while I was in school, and I see people without a degree making some coin.

But hey, jealousy is bad karma. More power to them and their families.

BigFatMeanie
01-24-2008, 02:38 AM
You could have done what I did - get one of those fake degrees from the University of Phoenix (Motto: "Pay your fee, get your degree")

Good thing my employer coughed up for the dime-store diploma.

Oh well, it's a good thing I'm so handsome because I've been able to make a comfortable living without a great academic record (I flunked out of CS at BYU and out of Physics at the U).

Colly Wolly
01-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Who cares about salary? Let's talk about who has the biggest wang. Probably me.

YOhio
01-24-2008, 03:30 AM
Who cares about salary? Let's talk about who has the biggest wang. Probably me.

I don't think you're quite the biggest dick on CG. Pretty close though.

Colly Wolly
01-24-2008, 03:32 AM
I don't think you're quite the biggest dick on CG. Pretty close though.

Ouch.

DJRoss
02-26-2008, 12:16 PM

Amen to that. It never ceases to surprise me when I sit down with company heads and explain the concept of Intellectual Capital with them. While off shoring may have been a boon to India, Russia and China, it was an extremely short term solution to maintaining the cost accounting dogma the big four continue to spew on corporate America.

I laugh every time I see the look on their faces when I advise them to spend as much as they can to ensure they secure the greatest achieving knowledge workers out there whether they are high end back bone gurus or handymen with degrees in sanitation engineering. Sustainability can only be achieved through nurturing the IC within the company. When all is said and done, that is where the value truly lies. Not in the accumulation of inanimate assets.

DJRoss
02-26-2008, 12:19 PM

You got me beat Mike. My first job was scooping ice cream in a drug store at $2.55 an hour. Sure gas money was so much easier to make back than, and girls were not that picky on where to go eat on Fridays.

DJRoss
02-26-2008, 12:22 PM

Ouch Indy, that was harsh :cool:

Kilgore Trout
05-19-2008, 08:39 PM

Golf sucks.

A kindred spirit!

At least on the subject of golf.

It just raises my blood pressure, brings out my potty mouth, has negligible exercise value and no networking value for my profession. Who needs that?