PDA

View Full Version : Mindful, would you mind

YOhio
01-05-2008, 02:37 PM
posting some of your favorite Persian recipes on the board? I've had and made a lot of Arab and Mediterranean food, but I'm not as familiar with Persian food. I'd love to give it a shot. Perhaps something like a Persian 101 recipe. Thanks!

Archaea
01-05-2008, 04:23 PM
It's good. They have mixed rices with raisins, lots of great shishkabobs. It is very tasty.

I'd love to have a good recipe for the rice with raisins.

TripletDaddy
01-05-2008, 05:01 PM
A nice lubia polo on a cold day is always yummy.

marsupial
01-05-2008, 05:20 PM
It's good. They have mixed rices with raisins, lots of great shishkabobs. It is very tasty.

Oh, well, YOhio LOVES raisins.

Mindfulcoug
01-06-2008, 08:45 PM
posting some of your favorite Persian recipes on the board? I've had and made a lot of Arab and Mediterranean food, but I'm not as familiar with Persian food. I'd love to give it a shot. Perhaps something like a Persian 101 recipe. Thanks!

After offering my apology for being late in this thread.. i have to tell you that iranian foods are absolutely appealing and you would actually be surprised with tremendous varieties ,featuring each province.

being already familiar with Arab and Mediterranean meals , you would have a very pleasent time taking first steps to befriend with iranian foods.

for those who might not have a clue about iranian foods here are some quick tips :

the first and formost point in iranian cuisine is "time" because the foods have to be pretty much well-down and succulent , which means row meal has "NO" place in iranian food culture.
so if you are on holiday or taking some days off and in a very good mood to cook patiently ,it would be a perfect time to try iranian foods.

Although there is no dominant taste governing iranian foods (like what we see in mexicans and indians ) ..but foods coming from south, are identified as hot and spicy while northern foods are garlic everfriends.

iranians are quite conservative when it comes to traditional food ..so they would love to make the everlasting impression with keeping the recipes untouched.

here is the link of an authentic iranian comprehensive cook book named "art of cooking" which i highly recommend .

http://personal.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/F.Mokhtarian/recipes

you might find it flattering but i am really having a hard time to pick and name some of my favorite foods due to being surrounded by plenty of greatly favorable ones.

that being said ..my first priority would be roast duck with special filling .( containing ..pomegranate ,plum..herbs ,nuts , onion and spices)

and the second one is "Dolme Barge Mow" which are stuffed grape leaf mostly served as appetizer.

http://i32.tinypic.com/353b2i8.jpg

here you could find the recipe and the rest of the information :

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/3/30/250px-Armeniadoma.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.answers.com/topic/dolma&h=188&w=250&sz=19&hl=en&start=31&um=1&tbnid=J2mr0W0mTHus5M:&tbnh=83&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Diranian%2Bfood%2Bpicture%2Bdolmeh%2Bb arg%2Be%2Bmo%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10 %26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4SKPB_enIR211IR213%2 6sa%3DN

the last thing which i should not forget is rice ,and the way its cooked and served with traditional stews .its actaully considered as an art to cook rice and let every single grain has its special place to dance.

the rice in my avatar is known as " Morasah polow" by the way . you could look for the recipe in the aformentioned link, if interested.

Iranians just dnot know how to be a bad cook !

Mindfulcoug
01-06-2008, 08:49 PM

you probably are talking about Turkish Kabob .because iranian rice mixed with raisins doesnot accompany Kabab ,rather well-down juicy large pieces of meat.

woot
01-06-2008, 08:54 PM
While I can't claim to have experienced the entire range of Persian cuisine, I can say that a meal consisting of Persian kebobs, rice, and grilled tomatoes that I had 8 years ago is still the best meal I've ever had. The guy showed us how to make it and it involved a couple different kinds of ground meat (I think) and a whole bunch of spices and such. Incredible.

creekster
01-07-2008, 08:04 PM
We have a Persian restaurant across the street from my office. It is very good food and seems pretty authentic (of course I really don't know). I think a trip there this week is caleld for.

YOhio
01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Oh, well, YOhio LOVES raisins.

I'll just substitute with chocolate chips.

YOhio
01-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the tips mindful. The pride you show in your native cuisine is endearing. I'll give some of the dishes on the site you posted a try in the next few months.

Mindfulcoug
01-07-2008, 09:37 PM
While I can't claim to have experienced the entire range of Persian cuisine, I can say that a meal consisting of Persian kebobs, rice, and grilled tomatoes that I had 8 years ago is still the best meal I've ever had. The guy showed us how to make it and it involved a couple different kinds of ground meat (I think) and a whole bunch of spices and such. Incredible.

They are indeed ! I wish those iranians who flood to fast food joints ,could actually read your message.

Mindfulcoug
01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
We have a Persian restaurant across the street from my office. It is very good food and seems pretty authentic (of course I really don't know). I think a trip there this week is caleld for.

Meeting many (respectively) iranians who take time to come to the place quite often might be a good sign of authenticity. and also the price ..i would say ,you couldnot have "good" iranian foods for cheap ,but its truly worth it.

Mindfulcoug
01-07-2008, 09:45 PM
I'll give some of the dishes on the site you posted a try in the next few months.

I hope you enjoy it.feel free to take different maneuvers while cooking if some ingredients were unavailable.

I will later post some delicious ,easy to cook iranian foods ,perfect for kids who hate meat ...kinda tricky.

creekster
01-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Meeting many (respectively) iranians who take time to come to the place quite often might be a good sign of authenticity. and also the price ..i would say ,you couldnot have "good" iranian foods for cheap ,but its truly worth it.

IT is not cheap but becaseu I am I don't go there that often. It is not unsual for my table of guests to be the only one there that does not speak what I assume is Farsi, so I think its patrons are usually from the middle east. The food is excellent and I wish I had gone there today.

Mindfulcoug
01-07-2008, 10:25 PM
IT is not cheap but becaseu I am I don't go there that often. It is not unsual for my table of guests to be the only one there that does not speak what I assume is Farsi, so I think its patrons are usually from the middle east. The food is excellent and I wish I had gone there today.

You are not cheap and i wish you had gone there too :)