PDA

View Full Version : (Almost) Last call for Solvang Century!!!

bluegoose
02-16-2006, 12:37 AM
I completed my registration today online, so I'm in. Now I just have to find a place to stay once there. Slim pickin' at my last check.

Do we have any other takers? One of my buddies from here in Redding will be joining me. Hopefully some of you will also be making the trip over there.

As we've said before, as far as big centuries go, this one is really well done. They have good food at the rest areas (none of that overly-healthy crap) , it is well staffed and the roads are pretty good. The scenery is excellent and the weather should be good. And its not incredibly difficult as far as elevation goes, so fitness level shouldn't be an excuse. Good one for tandems or triples (eh hem, creekster). And our BYU jerseys should be here by then (picture me offering a silent prayer).

If you're going, don't wait too long to register. I think they are capping registration at 5,000 or 5,500.

MikeWaters
02-16-2006, 12:47 AM
I wish I could. Lack of money and time and fitness stand in the way

I did get out today and ride 14 miles. 20+ mph winds were brutal.

SteelBlue
02-16-2006, 12:49 AM
I'm out. The wife said today that I can go, but I can tell that she doesn't mean it.

bluegoose
03-03-2006, 11:27 PM
So I'm looking forward to this big Cougarguard/BYU get-together in beautiful Solvang next weekend. Oh wait, I'm the only one going.

Actually there are 4 BYU grads going (me, mother goose, my riding buddy and his wife), but I am the only cyber geek there with the cool Y jersey.

I'll try to take some pictures so you all can see what you missed out on. I just hope that my rotund mid-section doesn't distort the "Y" beyond recognition.

p.s. - I don't know if its too late to register or not, in case any of you see the err of your ways and want to register last minute.....

Archaea
03-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Would love to be there, but one weekend per month is all my family and budget allows.

Good luck friend. Sounds fun.

bluegoose
03-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Make it a family day, as we are.

Great shopping in Santa Barbara for the Mrs. The beach is nice. I'm sure we could find some punks down at the pier for you kids to practice their karate on.

creekster
03-03-2006, 11:37 PM
From the sound of it Arch's Mrs could kick most of our butts on the bike, so be careful what you wish for!

I wish I could be there too, but 'tis not to be this year. As I may have told some of you, my wife's dance group (for which I function as sound engineer and sometime musician) is giggin' up a storm for the next few weekends. This, combined with several other demands on my time mean we can't be there. We will make it next year, I hope, as I really want to show off the triple and show you guys what a distorted 'Y' really looks like.

Look forward to the photos.

Archaea
03-03-2006, 11:54 PM
I doubt we could kick your butts but she does a great job for only two or three rides per week.

For some reason, my riding is mired in a slump, but all slumps are made to be broken.

In two weeks I'll be in Oceanside triathloning. I signed up for Sea Otter but may have to opt for Valencia.

SteelBlue
03-04-2006, 12:13 AM
I feel guilty for not going as I was the one who originally pushed for it. However, with the wife pregnant and nauseous I think I have a pretty good excuse. If I was to go without her, I'd rank pretty low on the list of understanding husbands. "Hey honey, I'm going to Santa Barbara for the weekend. Enjoy the 3 kids."