PDA

View Full Version : The bumps and grinds of cycling

Archaea
08-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Well today, instead running a 10K, I opted to bike with a friend an 80 miler, which includes a five climb loop of 2000 feet for fun.

So the morning starts off and things are moving along. Did the climb great, kepy my heart rate in the 170 range and stormed up the hill.

So after all the monster muscle flexing stuff is done, cruising along at 24 mph, when I swerve to avoid glass, touch the wheel in front and come crashing down.

No harm to bike, thank goodness, but massive road rash, sore back and hurt pride because I missed the last fifteen miles of the ride. To add insult to injury, laying in the middle of the road, dazed and confused, nobody stops. This town is fast and tough, and few people care.

SteelBlue
08-20-2005, 11:23 PM
I did 50 today Archaea but it had 6000 ft of climb. I did long slow distance today so I didn't hammer the hills. Some killer downhills where I was able to approach 50 mph but never quite got there because of turns coming up (I still can't lean into a turn at those speeds, just don't have the cojones).

I feel for you man. I've still never touched anyone with my front wheel but I know it's an automatic 2 week rest. So even though your bike is fine, I'll bet you ruined $300 worth of shorts/jersey. Did you split your helmet?

Archaea
08-21-2005, 12:34 AM
bike. I was still clipped in when my buddy dragged me from the freeway.

And no, I'm not waiting two stinkin weeks. I'm getting on tomorrow even though I'm sore as hell.

It ruined an otherwise great ride.

First question out of my mouth: how's my bike? I hope the carbon fiber fork isn't cracked.

Sounds like you had fun.

MikeWaters
08-21-2005, 02:26 AM
what kind of SOBs see someone go down and no one stops? I wouldn't ride with people like that? what if you had a serious head injury? unconscious? broken bones?

SteelBlue
08-21-2005, 03:07 AM
what kind of SOBs see someone go down and no one stops? I wouldn't ride with people like that? what if you had a serious head injury? unconscious? broken bones?

I took his post to mean that nobody driving by stopped to help.

Archaea
08-21-2005, 04:26 AM
lying in the road, nobody cared. Almost ran over in the road.

SoCalCoug
08-22-2005, 06:08 AM
Those wouldn't be Utah drivers, would they? :lol:

SteelBlue
08-22-2005, 07:53 PM
So how about an update archaea. How are you feeling now? Road rash is pretty miserable stuff. Have you tried riding yet? Any problems with the bike?

Archaea
08-22-2005, 08:10 PM
look as pretty as she once did and paint jobs for carbon frames are not cheap.

Body is sore, and yes I rode but nothing too demading until Wednesday with group ride on tap.

Back hurts, skin is on flames, blood oozes, you get the point. It might slow my running workout tomorrow unfortunately, as it was scheduled to be a speed workout. That might cause further injury.

Missed weights and martial arts unfortunately. Bike lets you on her no matter what the ailment is, even if you have trouble clasping the breaks.

More than you wanted to know, I am sure.

MikeWaters
08-22-2005, 08:15 PM
how's your taint?

fusnik11
08-22-2005, 08:36 PM
how old are you?

how much do you weigh?

what do your workouts consist of?

Archaea
08-22-2005, 08:59 PM
scratched up.

SteelBlue
08-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Missed weights and martial arts unfortunately

Archaea, do you ever go to work? I'm jealous man. If I could do all of the things you get to do, I might actually be in decent shape.

MikeWaters
08-22-2005, 10:23 PM
do you know what the "taint is, LOL?

Archaea
08-22-2005, 10:33 PM
okay.

well that hurts now and then after a long ride, long being more than 80.

So no pain there, plus I already have my kids.

You could have just said perineum.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taint

crude so beware.

UtahDan
08-24-2005, 03:06 AM
literally. Over 3500 miles. Now THAT will make you sore. :-)

http://www.starexponent.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=CSE%2FMGArticle%2FCSE_MGArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031784576241&path=!sports

Separated his should a few days from the end but finished anyway. At 62 this guy is a stud. I think I need to do this ride someday.

Archaea
08-24-2005, 04:27 AM
wow sounds fun