09-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Just in case you missed it.

Indy Coug
09-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Is this really a wise move by the Fed?

BYU71
09-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Is this really a wise move by the Fed?

I don't know what they know or what they are trying to accomplish. We have this initial run up in the market, but I am wondering why interest rates are rising on the 10 year treasury.

Personally, I wish they wouldn't have cut so much. If we have a couple of hic cups in the next few weeks, IMHO we will slide right back down a few hundred points and people will claim the fed doesn't have any ammo left.

Again I am not saying anyone else should do this, but I am going to stay 50% in cash until we get into October.

FMCoug
09-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Personally, I wish they wouldn't have cut so much. If we have a couple of hic cups in the next few weeks, IMHO we will slide right back down a few hundred points and people will claim the fed doesn't have any ammo left.

You could be right. But I just made a killing on EUR/USD. ;)

Is that unpatriotic of me?

jay santos
09-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't know what they know or what they are trying to accomplish. We have this initial run up in the market, but I am wondering why interest rates are rising on the 10 year treasury.

Again I am not saying anyone else should do this, but I am going to stay 50% in cash until we get into October.

And he says he's not a market timer...

jay santos
09-18-2007, 07:23 PM
You could be right. But I just made a killing on EUR/USD. ;)

Is that unpatriotic of me?

No, just lucky. :)

FMCoug
09-18-2007, 07:24 PM

True. At leat I admit what I am. A money-grubbing short-term trader.

:)

BYU71
09-18-2007, 07:29 PM

A market timer as I define one would be either all in or all out. They would also be moving money around a lot more often than every few months. I backed off in April. I am not bragging.

Look at the ups and downs during the summer. A market timer calling things correctly could have made a fortune. However, there are no such things. Market timers (traders) that call things correctly, consistently.

FMCoug
09-18-2007, 07:56 PM
No, just lucky. :)

Pretty easy to make money on currency on big news like that. Just place a buy just above market and a sell just below market and if there is a big move ... cha ching. With a move like this one ... it was a no-brainer.

jay santos
09-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Pretty easy to make money on currency on big news like that. Just place a buy just above market and a sell just below market and if there is a big move ... cha ching. With a move like this one ... it was a no-brainer.

Wrong. But I'm glad it's working for you.

BlueHair
09-19-2007, 04:13 AM
I sold all of my bonds a couple of days ago. I kept my stocks, but plan on out cashing out until I see how all this plays out. I wish I had bought yen about a month ago when I planned on doing it. My bet is bonds and the dollar are going to take a beating in the short term. I'm not an economist by any stretch of the imagination, so could someone please explain to me why the Fed finds it necessary to bail out Wall Street?

I am very concerned about inflation. The government won't be able to cook the numbers much longer if investors keep fleeing the dollar. On the bright side, maybe we'll get some of our manufacturing back from China. :)