PDA

View Full Version : Suckiest ride of the year

bluegoose
01-19-2006, 12:10 AM
I got off a bit early yesterday and decided to give it a go on the bike with a couple of guys who were also off.

Started off at about 2:00 with a light mist. By 2:06, we have a steady rain coming down with temperatures hovering in the low-40's. We decide to press on, in hopes that it will break up, as predicted by weather.com.

By 2:15 it is now raining very hard and we are committed to finishing this stupid ride. By this time, my gloves and toe covers are completely soaked through and I have water sloshing around inside my shoes. Hands are wet, but still not cold. Head and torso are still dry and warm.

36 miles, 2 1/2 hours, 2 "warm up and eat"-breaks, 3 pairs of gloves and one mild case of hypothermia later, I arrive home to the laughter of my wife who is standing in the garage, ready to hand the kids over to me after my little "break".

Post-ride shower was torture - little needles poking every inch of cold/exposed skin on my body.

I'm with you Mike W. Cold weather riding sucks.

SteelBlue
01-19-2006, 01:41 AM
My ride consisted of 1/2 hour on the trainer while watching a Pixies concert on DVD. FWIW I was toasty warm.

DirtyHippieUTE
01-19-2006, 03:12 AM
50 minutes on the spin bike at the gym. I felt like crap (again).

Something is very wrong here. The more I ride and workout, the worse I feel (my legs are getting ripped though).

I'm still not losing weight either...

Do they have a "Clydsdale" class in the TdF?

I think that's my only hope at this point.

Archaea
01-19-2006, 04:42 AM
No ride, just an hour swim practice.

Two hour run tomorrow, no ride until Friday. Sucks.