PDA

View Full Version : I am about to drop $10,000.00

BEHIND ENEMY LINES
08-23-2007, 05:16 PM
I am about to spend about 10K with an investment education company named Spread Trade Systems. They teach how to structure spread trades and options. Has anyone heard of these guys? They are based out of Lehi (near thanksgiving point). I understand that they are similar to Investools but are a notch above. They say that you can structure a trade so that there is nearly no risk and that I should expect to earn a 50% return on money invested in the market using their principles. One thing that interests me is that they offer this: Money Back Guarantee (if you don't see improvement in your performance we will work with you individually until you do, or give you your money back!) I checked them out on the BBB and they look clean.

Any advice from you finance gurus would be appreciated.

http://www.spreadtradesystems.com/

BYU71
08-23-2007, 05:28 PM
I am about to spend about 10K with an investment education company named Spread Trade Systems. They teach how to structure spread trades and options. Has anyone heard of these guys? They are based out of Lehi (near thanksgiving point). I understand that they are similar to Investools but are a notch above. They say that you can structure a trade so that there is nearly no risk and that I should expect to earn a 50% return on money invested in the market using their principles. One thing that interests me is that they offer this: Money Back Guarantee (if you don't see improvement in your performance we will work with you individually until you do, or give you your money back!) I checked them out on the BBB and they look clean.

50% returns with nearly no risk. You either have misunderstood them or ......... If that were true, why would they be telling anyone else.

creekster
08-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Can we place this post in the Advertising forum, please?

UteStar
08-23-2007, 06:35 PM

I fully agree with BYU71..."nearly no risk"...which is nice talk for 'we will invest your money and there will be A LOT of risk.' If these guys are legit with that little risk and those kinds of returns, we all would have heard about them. Maybe they are just new, but you better know what you are getting into.

On a sidenote...you are either part of this company or you need to study this company a lot more if you are about to drop $10K on them.

There is an interesting discussion on them here: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=72415&perpage=6&pagenumber=1

Mormon Red Death
08-23-2007, 06:43 PM

Tell you what... give me the 10k and I promise you will get 5% (minus my 1.5% fee) on your return

YOhio
08-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Go for it!

jay santos
08-23-2007, 08:44 PM

If someone figured out how to make 50% return on investment with nearly no risk, they would invest 10K and have over a billion dollars in 30 years. You think they would risk that fortune by teaching you how to do it? If someone figured out how to do so, they would hide under a blanket making their trades and hope to hell nobody discovered their method and start copying it, messing up their ability to execute.

BEHIND ENEMY LINES
08-23-2007, 08:54 PM
I fully agree with BYU71..."nearly no risk"...which is nice talk for 'we will invest your money and there will be A LOT of risk.' If these guys are legit with that little risk and those kinds of returns, we all would have heard about them. Maybe they are just new, but you better know what you are getting into.

On a sidenote...you are either part of this company or you need to study this company a lot more if you are about to drop $10K on them.

There is an interesting discussion on them here: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=72415&perpage=6&pagenumber=1

it was interesting to read. I am going to slow things down and not make the decision as soon as I was planning.

One of the most interesting things that was in the link was that some of the posters paid only $6,000. I need to find out if I am being screwed.

The truth is I know very little about the stock market. I have a 401k and IRA and a bunch of life ins. But that is the extent of my exposure to the market. I have additional money to invest and I am looking for a good place to put it.

I am interested in these guys because I would like to learn more about the market and how to trade, and because they are local.

Do you have any other resources that you would recomend for learning to place trades?

SteelBlue
08-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Spend a little money on a financial planner and heed his/her advice. It'll serve you much better than these folks ever will. 50% returns risk free is comical, you're getting scammed.

BEHIND ENEMY LINES
08-23-2007, 09:32 PM
They never told me that it was risk free, they did say that their program teaches how to minimize risk.

BEHIND ENEMY LINES
08-23-2007, 09:37 PM
I fully agree with BYU71..."nearly no risk"...which is nice talk for 'we will invest your money and there will be A LOT of risk.'

The way that I understand it they don't invest for their clients they only teach individuals how to invest and how to minimize the risk in those investments.

BYU71
08-23-2007, 09:42 PM
They never told me that it was risk free, they did say that their program teaches how to minimize risk.

50% returns and minimize risk should be words never used in the same paragraph. Maybe in their brochure they use them several pages apart.

cougjunkie
08-23-2007, 09:52 PM
add another 3 zeros to that 10,000, and you might have enough for BYU71 to spend some time with you. He only deals with big ballers though.

il Padrino Ute
08-23-2007, 09:52 PM
How many people do you have to have in your downline in order to get to that 50% return?

BEHIND ENEMY LINES
08-23-2007, 10:01 PM
add another 3 zeros to that 10,000, and you might have enough for BYU71 to spend some time with you. He only deals with big ballers though.

I feel like I am stuck in the middle. I dont have hundreds of thousands to invest but I have more that my sons piggy bank.

The other reason why I was thinking about this education program is that just before this recent downturn in the stock market I invested in some mutual funds and they took a hit and I lost about $5,000. I understand that you have to have a long term perspective with the market, and that I will get it back (in fact I actually just bought more), however I like the idea of minimizing the risk through the strategies that they discuss.

jay santos
08-23-2007, 10:11 PM
I feel like I am stuck in the middle. I dont have hundreds of thousands to invest but I have more that my sons piggy bank.

The other reason why I was thinking about this education program is that just before this recent downturn in the stock market I invested in some mutual funds and they took a hit and I lost about $5,000. I understand that you have to have a long term perspective with the market, and that I will get it back (in fact I actually just bought more), however I like the idea of minimizing the risk through the strategies that they discuss.

People a lot more brilliant than you are, are using math you (or FMCoug) will never understand to create investments that are much more complicated than you will ever understand to do exactly what this company says they'll teach you. Those people got hammered in the market much worse than your $5,000.

If it's for a long term investment, put it in a Vanguard index fund and forget about it. If you have over 50K, you can start developing an asset allocation strategy and use a few different funds. But with that move you'll increase your return (or reduce your risk at same return) very marginally. Not in the manner you're thinking.

Venkman
08-24-2007, 05:13 PM
There are alot of these companies in Utah. Investools is one, Russ Whitney's sales force is here in Utah, my bro in law works for them. I wouldn't give a dime to any of these outfits, they're all beyond shady IMO.

BYU71
08-24-2007, 05:19 PM
I am reminded of when I first got in the investment business a long time ago.

At first I was only allowed to talk to people about CD's. I cold called this one guy and he said all he had left was $40,000. He had just lost $40,000 with a commodity trader. He said he couldn't afford to lose another dime.

For months I called him on CD's, then when I got licensed, T-Bill and bonds. Never could close the deal. Then one day he said, I have invested the money. I ask where?

His answer, with the commodity guy that had lost the $40,000. He had convinced him he could get his money back. I hadn't really listened well. He didn't want to not lose his remaining 40, he wanted to get the 40 back he lost and he was waiting for someone to convince him they could.

He said call him in a few months. I said no. He said why. I said, because you won't have any money.

dallas dan
08-30-2007, 09:35 PM

I just got into this cool company called Amway. All you need to do is sign up underme for 2K, and we will be all set. The residuals are amazing. Would you like to be in my downline. You will more than likely be able to retire within the year.