PDA

View Full Version : We have had some weakness in the

BYU71
07-26-2007, 03:07 PM
market since it hit 14,000.

If you watch business shows or read the paper you will get all sorts of reasons. Oil prices hitting new highs. Housing market in a slump. Some are even saying the dropping interest rates are the cause, because there is a flight to quality from the market.

My best guess is we are going to hear about some hedge fund managers have gotten in trouble again. In the short term it has been my experience short term dramatic swings are caused by screw ups by people who have control over way too much money.

FMCoug
07-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I was thinking the 14K may be a psychological barrier as well. But you're much more in tune with the market than I am so you're probably right.

BYU71
08-02-2007, 01:58 PM
market since it hit 14,000.

If you watch business shows or read the paper you will get all sorts of reasons. Oil prices hitting new highs. Housing market in a slump. Some are even saying the dropping interest rates are the cause, because there is a flight to quality from the market.

My best guess is we are going to hear about some hedge fund managers have gotten in trouble again. In the short term it has been my experience short term dramatic swings are caused by screw ups by people who have control over way too much money.

I don't know if I was right or not, but Bear Stearns announced in the last couple of days it has a hedge fund that will not be honoring redemptions. I guess the fund is in trouble.

You hand young Harvard MBA's 90 million dollars and say, see what you can do. What do you expect.

Disclaimor: I don't know for a fact they were Harvard MBA's or in their 20's. I do know though John Edwards got paid to advise hedge funds and Chelsea Clinton works for a hedge fund.

MikeWaters
08-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Bush hired 24 year olds from suspect universities/law schools to help select US Attorneys.....

....this is just par for the course.

BYU71
08-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Bush hired 24 year olds from suspect universities/law schools to help select US Attorneys.....

....this is just par for the course.

Suspect universities?? You mean they were Harvard or Yale grads??

MikeWaters
08-02-2007, 02:04 PM

I mean they were Pat Robertson U. grads.

BYU71
08-02-2007, 02:06 PM
I mean they were Pat Robertson U. grads.

Not surprising, but you and I are suspicious of different things.

Out of curiousity, can you name me one great entrepreneur who has come out of either Harvard or Stanford. Graduated from the Universities?

MikeWaters
08-02-2007, 02:07 PM

Rob in graduated from Yale. (grad school)

So you know what I think of Yale now. :)

YOhio
08-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Out of curiousity, can you name me one great entrepreneur who has come out of either Harvard or Stanford. Graduated from the Universities?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stanford_University_people#Entrepreneurs_a nd_business_leaders

jay santos
08-02-2007, 02:18 PM
I don't know if I was right or not, but Bear Stearns announced in the last couple of days it has a hedge fund that will not be honoring redemptions. I guess the fund is in trouble.

You hand young Harvard MBA's 90 million dollars and say, see what you can do. What do you expect.

Disclaimor: I don't know for a fact they were Harvard MBA's or in their 20's. I do know though John Edwards got paid to advise hedge funds and Chelsea Clinton works for a hedge fund.

Bear Stearns has been in trouble very a while. The market would have adjusted for it months ago.

I agree hedge funds cause a lot of trouble. I know someone who works for one, and the way he describes it is pretty crazy. Pretty fun job but pretty crazy stuff. 30 or so high powered guys--not so much Harvard MBA's but PhD's in various subjects especially math with some computer programmers and MBA's mixed in all sitting together in a big room hammering stuff out, no offices or cubes or anything. Crazy environment compared to what I'm used to at least.

BYU71
08-02-2007, 02:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stanford_University_people#Entrepreneurs_a nd_business_leaders

Nice, there are more of them than I thought. Of course on that list they also included the drop outs. They also include business leaders. I was looking for a pure entreprenuer list.

BYU71
08-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Bear Stearns has been in trouble very a while. The market would have adjusted for it months ago.

I agree hedge funds cause a lot of trouble. I know someone who works for one, and the way he describes it is pretty crazy. Pretty fun job but pretty crazy stuff. 30 or so high powered guys--not so much Harvard MBA's but PhD's in various subjects especially math with some computer programmers and MBA's mixed in all sitting together in a big room hammering stuff out, no offices or cubes or anything. Crazy environment compared to what I'm used to at least.

Yes they have. This is their third hedge fund to get in trouble. IMHO the market is adjusting right now. Over time the market tends to flush out the speculators.

There is always a fancy new program that comes along to make big money in the market. Then something happens they weren't planning for or considering and viola, the hammering comes. :)